For those shooting with the Canon 7D.. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I would highly recommend the Sandisk brand. They are very well reviewed everywhere you look. That's why we went with them. You could go with cheaper cards and have them work just fine too, but given that it's the final resting place for your footage when you shoot .. that's the one area I would invest heavily in.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM   #17
Major Player

2 7Ds
4 x 32GBs (reception)
4 x 16GBs (ceremony)
5 x 8GBs (prep)

6 batteries

The goal is to never have to worry about dumping cards or charging batteries. This takes my team throughout the day with maybe one set of charging a pair of batteries if the day is really long. I usually rent another 7D/5D or an associate may own one that we use.

I also use nothing but sandisk. I'm sure the cheaper cards may work fine, but like Travis said, I will spend the extra money on "peace of mind" for cards I know have a great track record. A sister studio used kingston in the past, after a card buffered once, they swapped to sandisk and never looked back.

Now only if I would have remembered to do the stupid rebates.....ugh.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
2 7Ds
4 x 32GBs (reception)
4 x 16GBs (ceremony)
5 x 8GBs (prep)

6 batteries

The goal is to never have to worry about dumping cards or charging batteries. This takes my team throughout the day with maybe one set of charging a pair of batteries if the day is really long. I usually rent another 7D/5D or an associate may own one that we use.

I also use nothing but sandisk. I'm sure the cheaper cards may work fine, but like Travis said, I will spend the extra money on "peace of mind" for cards I know have a great track record. A sister studio used kingston in the past, after a card buffered once, they swapped to sandisk and never looked back.

Now only if I would have remembered to do the stupid rebates.....ugh.
Anyone ever have any trouble with SanDisk Ultras? I got a write error last weekend, and lost some footage. Definitely wasn't pleased. I had originally bought them from Ebay -- I really hope they weren't counterfeit SanDisks.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Major Player

Never had an issue with any of the extreme IIIs, IVs, or new extremes. The new ultras are the same speed as the extreme IIIs (30MB/S) but I couldn't say if they are built the same. I only buy my cards from adorama, b&h, or reputable sellers from message boards. No issues up to this point.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:16 PM   #20
Major Player

2 7D
3 16GB
1 32GB
1 8GB
7 batteries

I am still at the stage of dumping footages from my CF to MBP so I can re-use it again.. :( Hope to get enough budget to buy more before our next wedding job

But lately I've had issue with my Sandisk Extreme III.. my 7D is saying "cannot read the CF card".. something like that.. I had to turn off-on the camera several times before it starts working again.. This gets me really nervous.. It's an eBay bought so I'm concerned its a counterfeit although it comes with all the Sandisk certificates of purchase etc...

I'm thinking of buying the Kingston 266x Ultimate.. seems like a good value.. any comments on this?

I've had the Kingston 133x and they are working well although it does buffer sometimes.. I only use it for prep, location shoot and reception where I have less of the timing pressure
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques