Need a Slider and what else? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 28th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Need a Slider and what else?

I put this question here cause it pertains to people who would use a Slider for weddings.

I'm gonna get the DP Slider V-720 (OR do you prefer the V-800) and wanted to know what else you bought for your slider to make your shots turn out better or smoother and to make your life easier?

Tripod, Fluid Head, Bag?

Extra parts, quick release etc.

I'm so excited to add this piece of gear to my weddings

Thanks
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Kelly

I use my DP Slider 720 on a smaller bogen tripod with a 503 head. A 501 will work just as well. I use a Bogen ball head on the DP Slider which allows me to get more creative shots, however, some people prefer to place a head on the slider instead of a ball head on the slider.

Whichever you chose, make sure it has the same quick release plate as the rest of your support gear so you can easily go from one to the other.

As far as bags, I have a bag for every tripod and I also have a bag for the DP Slider. Not only does a bag protect your gear, but it also makes it easier to transport.
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i've used a slider in a couple weddings and the thing that gets a little tricky is how hard it is to lug these things around when you dont have an assistant or someone else to help. I would probably get a bag for it so its easier to lug things around. Also make sure you have adapter plates so you have one type of tripod plate to use for most (if not all) your rigs. It makes life a lot easier.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Major Player

I will be using a 7D on it and I have been using the Manfrotto Quick Release which I have on all my other gear, but I don't like it because the screw on the bottom gets in the way especially on my Manfrotto Mono Pod, but I've managed.

It does make life easier. Some of my shooters don't use them. They are crazy.

Thanks for the tips.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554141-REG/Manfrotto_323_323_RC2_System_Quick.html
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Mark, how exactly do you get more creative shots. Example?

Sometimes I would like to place it directly on the floor, but angle the camera upwards for First Dances. Would putting it on the fluid head be best for that? Can you also switch from putting it on the ballhead and the fluid head?
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Major Player

I have Manfrotto quick release plates on the bottom middle and endpieces of the DPSlider so that I can easily convert from horizontal to vertical slides. I also have a quick release mount on the top of the slider so that I can easily put any camera I want onto the slider. I also have a ball head that has a QR plate as well. It may seem overkill, but in the field it makes it incredibly easy to use whatever pieces I need, and do it very quickly.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Mark, how exactly do you get more creative shots. Example?

Sometimes I would like to place it directly on the floor, but angle the camera upwards for First Dances. Would putting it on the fluid head be best for that? Can you also switch from putting it on the ballhead and the fluid head?
Hi Kelly,

With the ball head mounted to the slider, I have the slider mounted to a tripod head. Then I can angle the tripod head, level out the camera with the ball head and do horizontal rising/tracking shots. You can't do the with a head mounted to the slider, unless you have a head with a bowl.

You can also lean the slider against a wall or on steps, and then use the ball head to level out the camera. Finally, you can do vertical slides, if you get the V series, and again, you need the ball head. You can see some samples of this on the Von Real episode we did with the DP Slider.

EventDV-TV

As far as switching from the ball head to a fluid head, yes, you certainly can, but it would not be as fast as using one or the other with a quick release plate.
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Kelly,

I cant wait to use your slider!!!
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #9
New Boot

Glidetrack Shooter

I have recently purchased the glidetrack shooter as recommended by FX Films and found it really easy to use at weddings. I have attached a Manfrotto 701HDV head which is small and light. The track is only 0.5m long and is very light. Used on a wedding at the weekend and it was great. A lot easier than carting my 1.0m HD glidetrack around that needs 2 tripods.

Glidetrack Shooter - Products

David
Lakeland Productions
David Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...r-locking.html

Get that and a 701hdv and your should be good
Steven Arbiu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques