would love some feedback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Major Player

would love some feedback

Hey guys,

I haven't posted a video on here in a long time, but I decided that I really should start upping my game, and get some feedback from the best of the best. I'd appreciate any feedback but would prefer negative / constructive feedback so I know what I'm doing wrong and what I should improve on. I'd also love to hear what you liked about the video so I know what not to change in my next draft.

Thanks so much in advanced for watching and giving me feedback :)
Louis

The password is Draft3

Old August 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice work! I'm loving the punchy colors! Music is good too, very upbeat and engaging. 2 cameras makes a difference, especially during the vows and such. Makes the linear scene more interesting.

I'm thinking the intro of the speech might be too long. To keep the speech, I would cut some other angles, maybe the bride and groom reactions so that it's not one long speech shot. Especially as an intro shot into your video, which kicks up nicely after that.

Also, I'm a fan of shallow depth of field when it works, but parts near the end where they are dancing, they dance beyond the field and go out of focus. For something that special, they should be sharp, especially during their turns. Elsewhere it's used nicely.

Overall very nice. I'm digging the reception colors which is something I still can't nail down. Too dark and/or too many lighting changes. You've made it look very even and consistent. Nice!
Eric Pasarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Louis....loved the audio !!!! The only thing I would have liked was something from the celebrant.It wouldn't had to have been much, but I thought I did see his lips moving at one point but heard zero.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #4
Major Player

opening guy's audio sounded pretty bad ,after that was good except that the priest (not sure of proper title)
didn't seem to be audible ,quite a few shots out of focus as well ,i think if you fix those things on your next vid you'll have a real winner :)
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback guys! I know about the focus problem, didn't happen too often, but I decided the shots that it did happen with should go in the highlights because even though they drifted focus I still liked them... It was my first wedding with no real video camera, it was all done with canon SLR's. The audio at the reception sucks because it was all on camera mics because the board sent out some kind of horrible signal 10 minutes into the reception which I am going to try to fix but for now its gone.

I hope to improve everything before the next wedding, and hopefully start gaining more and higher end clients. :)
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Negatives

- celebrant at the start = too much head room, audio problem with wireless

- soo many blown out highlights on the prep

- there is a shot that we can see how u change the aperture 01:24

- 01:26 slider shot a bit tilted

- then the establishing shots exterior didn't say much variation over the different shots. i think one shot of the exterior is enough. especially the first exterior and the second. they are almost exactly the same thing. when you pull back to the mid shot, we don't see much new. just more green grass..

- again too much head room on the bride walking down the isle

- the bride was looking back at her dress tail. i think its better to cut that out.

- bride vow is not sync

- bride angle is crossing the line with the master shot. Maybe the situation didn't allow you to get the right angle but I thought I'd mention it cause it is a big thing.

- grand entrance has wrong white balance, too much headroom, shaky panning.

- all of the reception has wrong white balance.

Positives:

- some nice shots during the prep. i particularly like the pull focus shot 01:04

Overall:

I think you have to work on your composition (headroom and the like), camera movement (stability/monopod), work on your manual setting (white balance and aperture setting) and work on your editing (cleaning up those bad stuff out like changing aperture, bride looking back on her tail, shaky footage as well as try to tell a story through your editing as opposed to only showing beautiful pictures and people having fun and romantic times)

I hope this makes sense :)

Santo
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Susanto,

Thanks for your feedback. Already fixed the white balance problem, just have not uploaded the newest version yet. Thanks for all your other comments, anything that I can fix, I will, if not I'll keep it in mind for future jobs! It was very helpful.

Wished there were more positives though.. but I guess I'll get there right? :) Want to get this down so that next summer I can make good money doing it since I will have just graduated from school.

Louis

New video:

Its not done yet again, but is the latest... this one is not password protected...

Last edited by Louis Maddalena; August 8th, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Louis - I'd echo most of the comments mentioned. Additionally I'd recommend more variation on the length of the clips. Needed some quicker cuts in there. The slider shots are cool but use more sparingly ( table slide at 3:10 too long). I've found it almost impossible to get an acceptable handheld shot from a 5D so for the vows, toasts, etc, I always lock it down on a tripod. Pretty noticeable jello effect at 1:42. You had some good shots in there though and overall nice highlight. I'm sure your client will love it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques