dslr final products? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 8th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

dslr final products?

So yesterday I was a photographer at a wedding and the bride and groom hired a DJ company that also partnered up with a videographer that uses DSLRS. I was talking to the guys a bit but didn't want to ask too many questions and they really didn't seem to knowledgeable more of the type who was given the camera shown how to operate it and sent on their way.

I am wondering what you guys produce as the final product how long is the reception end of it? The important stuff, intros, first dances, toasts, cake cutting, garter, bouquet and how much just "candid dancing" do you add in? The company I work for has been doing video for over 20 years now and I know how we do it but we aren't shooting DSLR (yet... i hope to soon) and I really am not a fan of how much reception stuff we include I feel it gets boring very fast.

Another thing, when we shoot we do about 98% of it on tripod, I LOVED the way the guys were working last night with a shoulder rig/handheld setup and a monopod, although I was a little disappointed to see no slider or steadycam. As I was talking to my boss about them and trying to convince him of the positives of shooting with slrs it killed me to see no external recorder and only a rode mic, not even a lav for the ceremony.

So while this company wasnt the best of the best it was one of the first I had seen in my area utilizing the DSLRS and it made me think a lot about the setups needed. What do you guys usually have in your arsenal?
Michael DiFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Michael,

I am new in this field as well but I took the plunge with DSLRs. Many would recommend starting with standard HDV for reliability.. but after seeing the capabilities of DLSRs, I didn't hestitate in taking the risk.. and I'm glad I did.

On my last wedding the final product was over 1.5 hours for ceremony and reception. Full dances, full speeches, etc. With a trailer and extras (guest testimonies, preps shots).

My kit at the moment is two 7Ds & lenses, a steadicam, a slider, 2x digital recorders, a RODE videomic, some LED lights (newly bought), tripods and monopods.

I'd agree on recommending your company to jump onto DSLR atleast as an add-on. Especially in these times where DSLRs have starting to show its hidden potentials. Maybe show the boss how much difference it could make and that I'm sure will get him consider hard.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques