Meet set up at the Weva Expo Tuesday night at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 26th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1
Wrangler

Meet set up at the Weva Expo Tuesday night

Anyone here going to the Weva Expo this year? I'd love to meet some of you. I set up a dinner meet on Tuesday, August 9th at Cafe Paradise in the Las Vegas Hilton at 10 pm. There is already roughly 30 slated to show up from another forum I belong to and would love to get together and meet some of you DVinfo'ers as well!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Thinking About It

Glen,

I am thinking about joining WEVA, and trying to come. I better make a decision quick or it will come and go in no time. WEVA doesn't offer a special expo rate for students, such as NAB, do they?

Thank You,

Matt Trubac
TruVision Studios
Phone: (517) 282-2915
http://www.TruVisionStudios.com
Matt@TruVisionStudios.com
Matt Trubac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm planning to attend WEVA (it'll be my first time). I'd like to meet other dvinfo.net people as well, especially those in the wedding biz.

Anyone bringing any demo reels to share? I'd bring mine, but it's nowhere near the high level of quality I've seen from other members here.
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trubac
Glen,

I am thinking about joining WEVA, and trying to come. I better make a decision quick or it will come and go in no time. WEVA doesn't offer a special expo rate for students, such as NAB, do they?

Thank You,

Matt Trubac
TruVision Studios
Phone: (517) 282-2915
http://www.TruVisionStudios.com
Matt@TruVisionStudios.com
Matt, I don't believe so. Unfortunately you missed the deadline to register "early" at a discount. Check the Weva site for details. It would be great if you could make it.
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mizomi
I'm planning to attend WEVA (it'll be my first time). I'd like to meet other dvinfo.net people as well, especially those in the wedding biz.

Anyone bringing any demo reels to share? I'd bring mine, but it's nowhere near the high level of quality I've seen from other members here.
Todd, Tuesday night/ 10:30pm/ Paradise Cafe.... See you there!
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:

Hi Todd,

This will be my 7th Expo, so trust me, you will love it. Make sure to attend the 1st timers workshop on Monday. It will help you to make the most of your Expo experience.

I would like to encourage you to bring your demo reel. A lot of videographers bring their reels. It's a great way to share your work as well as get input from others. Remember, there will always be someone that you can learn from and someone that can learn from.

There is a designated area of duplicators, usually DVD and miniDV, so you can actually go home with samples from other videographers, but it's a two way street, so make sure you bring your demo reel.

We will have a booth at the trade show, so stop by and say hi.
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the encouragement Mark! BTW, the training DVDs I ordered from your company were awesome! I'm learning a lot from them.

I previously worked for 8 years at a wedding photo/video company, but never got the chance to attend a WEVA Expo. Now that I've started my own company, I'll need all help I can get.

For the duplication area - do we need to provide blank DVDs and miniDV tapes?
Maui, Hawaii
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Which Hilton is it? The one on the Strip or the one by the Convention Center? I'm going to miss Bally's, mainly because of the great sushi downstairs at Ichiban.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement Mark! BTW, the training DVDs I ordered from your company were awesome! I'm learning a lot from them.

I previously worked for 8 years at a wedding photo/video company, but never got the chance to attend a WEVA Expo. Now that I've started my own company, I'll need all help I can get.

For the duplication area - do we need to provide blank DVDs and miniDV tapes?
Hi Todd,

I'm glad you are enjoying the DVDs. I'm not the one in charge of keeping track of who orders what, so I didn't know you had purchased our DVDs.

Wow, you've been at it for 8 years. That's great. Make sure you get a good variety of sessions at WEVA. The creative sessions are the most fun, but since you have started your own company the marketing/sales and business sessions are very important.

Last year the blank DVDs were provided, but it wouldn't hurt to bring a few along, or there are always great deals on media at the trade show.

Is there a local video association in Hawaii? I would love to write off a business trip to Hawaii and if there is a local video association that I could hook up with I would consider coming out for to do an all workshop.

Make sure you bring plenty of business cards, notebook for taking notes and an audio recorder. I look forward to meeting you.
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Which Hilton is it? The one on the Strip or the one by the Convention Center? I'm going to miss Bally's, mainly because of the great sushi downstairs at Ichiban.
Hi Chris,

I don't know which Hilton. Here's a link that may help out.
http://www.weva.com/expo2005/

After so many years of knowing about you, I look forward to meeting you.
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd

Chris! Are you going?! That would be great....finally mee the "Kennelmaster". Is Tuesday night at 10:30pm (Cafe Paradise) good for you?
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken
\
Is there a local video association in Hawaii? I would love to write off a business trip to Hawaii and if there is a local video association that I could hook up with I would consider coming out for to do an all workshop.

Make sure you bring plenty of business cards, notebook for taking notes and an audio recorder. I look forward to meeting you.

As far as I know, we haven't formed a local videographers associaion yet on Maui (I don't know about Honolulu).

I'm planning to bring my iRiver to record workshops, but not sure if the Azden lavalier I have on it will pick up the speakers good. Any recommendations on a different kind of mic for an iRiver for recording the workshops?
Maui, Hawaii
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Todd,

The Azden lav mic will work fine. That's what I use at the Expo. I just clip the mic onto my shirt.
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Glen, I'm not sure I can actually commit at this point, but I'll let ya know.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:22 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken
Hi Todd,

The Azden lav mic will work fine. That's what I use at the Expo. I just clip the mic onto my shirt.
I'm a bit concerned about the Azden mic myself. It's great for picking up the officiant or whomever is directly wearing it- but it tends to have a narrow acceptance pattern. I hope they have amped speakers in the various rooms. If not I'm going to plant on in the front of the room where the speaker will be.

Btw, Mark, are you and your wife going to make it to the meet Tuesday night? I expect the BOTH of you to be there! lol
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques