They don't know when they're lucky at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 14th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Trustee

They don't know when they're lucky

I've just read a piece about a current reality show on UK TV involving "celebrities" trying to be great chefs - where do they get these ideas from?

One of the finalists describes how unreal the production is. The food recorded hot but doing so takes so long that by the time the experts have tasted it it's tepid - listen to their sometimes ecstatic verdicts and unreality sets in.

But it's the little details that ring bells for we professional events and wedding programme makers. I quote "Just walking in, taking off your coat and putting on an apron takes a considerable time to film: ‘Sorry Christine, can you just tie the apron strings again – and please turn a shade more towards the camera. Apron strings . . . tie again?’ Whaaaat!

Give these cossetted programme makers a real reality job - like discreetly filming a wedding without the scores of assistants (check out the credits) and they'd find out what reality really is!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Philip.....you mean we don't get "do overs" ??? :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Trustee

Chip, I remember well the last time I asked a groom who insisted on saying "until death do us part" instead of "us do part" to do it "one more time please, after all you only have to repeat what the man in the white frock is saying" - not!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

One shot, one take, warts and all, with only the edit to "save" any goof ups, now THAT's "reality" production...

I'd venture that the "reality TV" producers would soil themselves if they had to capture top notch usable footage "on the fly" and not miss a thing.

Although I am considering "retakes"... hmmmm. Maybe as a "last resort".
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Trustee

For more conscientious viewers, Television has, over time, become synonymous with "Life in the Fake Lane". It is always designed, largely to entertain (yes, news programs too.), and is essentially not to be trusted as real. Therefore, "Reality Television" becomes something of a clever little joke unto itself, and should always be written with quotations around it.

-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques