For those interested, the Canon XF300, XF305 (inc. real wedding test-drive clip) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Major Player

For those interested, the Canon XF300, XF305 (inc. real wedding test-drive clip)

Hi all,

Some of you may be interested in seeing the results of a 1 camera-man shoot using the Canon XF305.

Full HD, 25p, superb IS modes, all-new focussing system, etc, etc.

See my short review, and end result (EVERY shot was from 1 x XF305):

and here are some of the raw, untreated framegrabs for you to download too:

http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/downloads/X...ramegrab_1.jpg
http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/downloads/X...ramegrab_2.jpg
http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/downloads/X...ramegrab_3.jpg
http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/downloads/X...ramegrab_4.jpg
http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/downloads/X...ramegrab_5.jpg
http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/downloads/X...ramegrab_6.jpg
http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/downloads/X...ramegrab_7.jpg
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 04:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Richard,

Have to say, I reckon you'd do a good job with a few box brownie prints stitched together..... :) There's some nice camera work in there.... :)

Just for giggles, I copied the first grab and puffed it up to 3140 x 1766......pretty impressive

I'm envious......

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #3
Major Player

well alan, i like a challenge :)

vimeo isn't doing the clip justice unfortunately, but hopefully the framegrabs are.

i forgot to put in the original post, that there is a short review write-up if you all follow the vimeo link

cheers
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Very nice work Richard. Frame grabs look stunning too.
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Great video - quick tech question though,
How did you do the transition at 0:29 - 0:30?
Looks simple enough and I've seen it a bunch of places, but not sure how to do it...
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Now I want one!!!
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ironically when I saw these videos taken with the Canon 5D Mk II (which is a stills camera) I knew that I needed to buy one. Paris and San Franciso videos by night - Chris MacAskill's Photos | SmugMug

Now that I have seen these still photos from the Canon XF305 (which is a video camera) I know that I need to buy one.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Major Player

looks like a lovely camera. Just about to buy a sony HVR-Z5 and I'm now quite depressed about that!

Richard, did I buy a used FX1 from you (probably ebay) a couple of years ago? I recognise your site so I'm sure it was you!

Anyway, lovely looking cam
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Major Player

wow, great memory david - yeah, that was a sad moment, i loved the FX1! but obviously i had no regrets with my camcorder/camera choices after that :)

glad you all seem to like the camcorder...and obviously if you get a chance (e.g. at expos), you MUST get a hands-on try of it!
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The framegrabs look very good and like you said, vimeo compression doesn't do the image any good, the vimeo footage actually looked a lot of what a xh-a1 produces but the framegrabs do show better looking footage.
Did you apply some effects to the footage of vimeo, the whites seem to "bleed" as if you applied a glow filter to it?
The xf305 is out of my (financial) reach unfortunately but to be honest, I"m not sure if I would buy it. I never liked the color Canon (video) camera's produce, too cold. In that way i would prefer a Panasonic if I ever would upgrade and I even wouldn't mind a bit softer image. My older dvx100 was th eonly camera I ever got complemented on by clients how nice the colors were, and that was right out of the box without any modifications.

Edit: you really have to share how you do that tilt transition from image to text and back again, it looks very simple but I think there is a bit more to it. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:25 AM   #11
New Boot

this is just a guess for the transitions: sliding transition between two videos and horizontal or vertical gausian blur on the respective clips. for example, if sliding sideways, use horizontal gausian on the two clips. can't remember if there's a sound effect (at work, no sound), but that's easy enough to add.
Dan Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Major Player

Hey Richard....

I love it...The fact that you were able to use a glidetrack, glidecam, tripod and handheld all on a one camera shoot, is a testament onto itself....

Question:
Did you find editing this footage to be very taxing on your NLE?
How much colour correction did you do with some of the outdoor shots??

I'm having a hard time distinguishing what's native, and what's done in post..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:32 AM   #13
Major Player

cheers Dan - and yes, sfx added afterwards enhances it.

Peter, fortunately i have CS5 (on my i7, 12gb ram, 64bit Win 7) which means I literally drag/drop the .MXF footage clips on to the timeline and away I go (amazingly, CS5 actually has a 'Canon XF' project preset!!). Zero stuttering, even with colour-grading.

I did minor colour correction in post, and zero pre-adjustments (i.e. camera presets). That is why I included the raw, ungraded, unprocessed framegrabs so you can hopefully get a proper indication (indoors, outdoors, detail, colours, white balancing etc).

Noa - I can see why people might prefer a richer, more colourful look straight from camera. Certainly user-defined presets for the camera can help with that, but I personally prefer a 'raw' look so that I have better grading scope afterwards (i've always shot like this with the XH-A1's too).

cheers
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:47 AM   #14
Major Player

Additional clip

at long last, my friend Pete over at Engage Cinematic, has uploaded his own XF305 clip...worth a look:

Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:28 AM   #15
Major Player

Richard,

Your mates is good, great quality, but I like your style better.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques