DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   7D corrupted files.. beware (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/483984-7d-corrupted-files-beware.html)

Susanto Widjaja August 28th, 2010 07:56 PM

7D corrupted files.. beware

5 of my clips from yesterday's wedding were corrupted. they have all the seemingly right file size on them but there is no thumbnail on the finder and can't be played or anything...

These files are from 7D.. and I've read some other problems with 7D corrupted files.. not with 5D though.. maybe its time to just go all 5D...

Dan Choi August 28th, 2010 09:43 PM

what kind of memory card are you using

Dimitris Mantalias August 28th, 2010 11:43 PM

Not the 7D issue. I recently saw 5D MKII losing photos exactly the same way. File is there but no thumbnail and no way to open it. If you also open the file with a hex editor, you'll see that it contains only zeros. Nothing is there. This happens because of bad media OR because of malfunctioning card readers! If you read the files directly from your card and they don't work, then it's game over. If this happened after you tranferred them to the computer, then try checking them again on the card. If you erased the card but you didn't write anything new on them, then use a recovery software and there is a good chance that you'll find the corrupted files in working condition.

Khoi Pham August 28th, 2010 11:48 PM

If the files are there and you can't open it, this company can save it ,they did it for me, you will need a mac
Treasured • Download

Susanto Widjaja August 29th, 2010 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Choi (Post 1563778)
what kind of memory card are you using

i use sandisk extreme 32gb 60mb speed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias (Post 1563802)
Not the 7D issue. I recently saw 5D MKII losing photos exactly the same way. File is there but no thumbnail and no way to open it. If you also open the file with a hex editor, you'll see that it contains only zeros. Nothing is there. This happens because of bad media OR because of malfunctioning card readers! If you read the files directly from your card and they don't work, then it's game over. If this happened after you tranferred them to the computer, then try checking them again on the card. If you erased the card but you didn't write anything new on them, then use a recovery software and there is a good chance that you'll find the corrupted files in working condition.

the files on the card are not readable. its very very annoying that both cameras are not reliable....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 1563804)
If the files are there and you can't open it, this company can save it ,they did it for me, you will need a mac
Treasured • Download

I have tried the treasure app and the preview repair file was playing on my comp as a bunch of greens, blues pixels...

Steven Arbiu August 29th, 2010 09:36 PM

I have had that on an xsi recently. I believe it is the result of a low quality memory card.

Dave Blackhurst August 29th, 2010 10:39 PM

One thing to be aware of is that there are a LOT of fake memory cards out there - eBy is notorious for them, so depending on the source of your card, that MAY be the source of your problems. IIRC Sandisk has a really good warranty, send the card in and see if they say it's a legit card with issues, or a fake. If you've had data loss, you don't want to reuse the card, as you risk more losses.

I've seen lots of problems with sketchy cards causing "camera errors"... you can't blame the camera - they need quality cards with good specs and headroom to function properly. Don't put regular in your high performance car...

Travis Cossel August 30th, 2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1563839)
i use sandisk extreme 32gb 60mb speed

I use the same cards. No issues so far, but this concerns me A LOT.

Susanto Widjaja August 30th, 2010 04:18 AM

all my memory cards came in with sandisk boxes with the rescue pro free software.

I bought one or two from ebay and am not sure which one is which anymore. But I do make sure that I chose the seller with high ratings and says its genuine in box and not ridiculously cheap.

I'm pretty sure my cards are not fake... but yeah... I've used rescuepro to wipe out the data of that card now.. instead of formatting it straight from the card. maybe that will fix it up.

the thing is, there are a number of people on forums that reported the similar problems and all of them come from 7D camera. that got me suspicious...

Khoi Pham August 30th, 2010 05:23 AM

I've heard corrupted files from 5D too, I got corrupted files on T2i so 7D is not the cause, it is the card, according to Hoodman Raw, Sandisk still have a 3% failed rate so yes you could have a bad card.

Susanto Widjaja August 30th, 2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 1564095)
I've heard corrupted files from 5D too, I got corrupted files on T2i so 7D is not the cause, it is the card, according to Hoodman Raw, Sandisk still have a 3% failed rate so yes you could have a bad card.

I see... well in that case, this card should go to ebay soon.. but I feel bad selling it to someone knowing that it will stuff them up sooner or later... sigh...

Dave Blackhurst August 30th, 2010 10:10 AM

Send it to Sandisk - double check your warranty, but it's probably covered if it's genuine. I've bought "sandisk" (small "s" deliberate) on eBay that looks legit, but turned out to be fake. Came in a pretty box and all, but was knockoff. BUT I've also bought genuine Sandisk product on eBay too, with careful selsction of seller... just have to know your source.

Cody Dulock August 30th, 2010 11:03 AM

Are you formatting your cards in your camera or in the computer?

I have heard of instances where cards can become corrupt when they are formatted via a card reader.

Kelly Langerak August 30th, 2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 1563804)
Treasured • Download

Use it. It worked for me.

Susanto Widjaja September 4th, 2010 08:00 AM

I'm pretty sure mine are genuine after reading this article

eBay Australia Guides - FAKE SanDisk Extreme Compact Flash Cards Exposed

I bought like 5 from 1800memory seller