Groom/Pastor Mic Placement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 10th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Groom/Pastor Mic Placement

I have never been exactly happy with my lapel mic placement on the groom or pastor and wondered, how do you do it? I have two olympus recorders, one for the groom and one for the pastor. The lapel mic has about a two foot wire. I usually put the small recorder in their inside jacket breast pocket, and clip the mic to their jacket (black on black), as close as I can get to their throat. The problem I had recently is the extra wire fell out of the pocket and hung out into the shot during the ceremony. I suppose I should wrap the extra wire around the recorder, since the recorder is on lock mode while recording. I still wish I could get closer to the voice without showing too much wire. Any suggestions on the best placement of recorder, wire, and mic/clip?
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Michael

Our grooms more than often wear a jacket and waistcoat so I normally clip on the mic and the thread the cable under the waistcoat and put the transmitter in their back hip pocket.

Never fallen out yet!! and the waistcoat holds the cable nice and tight...the onlt cable that shows is the tiny piece that goes around the jacket lapel. However I did have one groom that ripped the plug out of the transmitter after register signing!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris. I figured waistcoats were known as vests here, but I had to google it to make sure! Where exactly do you clip the lapel (jacket, vest, collar, tie, etc.)?
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey Michael,

I think the best two places are on the jacket lapel (your location as well) or the tie. The tie only works if the officiant's jacket is relatively closed and the tie color does not make it too obvious. I prefer using a good omni mic for both officiant and groom so I have a decent backup. I guess what I am saying is if you are using a quality mic and a good recorder with good preamps at appropriate levels then you should get quality audio from that location. As far as the wire, just roll it under the belt clip if you have one or use the cheap velcro cable ties from Radioshack.
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

I try to use the jacket lapel rather than the tie as it's more substantial!! Also by having the mic on the groom's lapel it's also physically closer to the bride for her vows!! (not much but every bit helps) I just have to remember what side to put it on for the most effective pickup!! Yeah, ties also will work (guess that's why they call it a tie-pin mic in some places!) but I usually clip the tie itself to the groom's shirt using the mic clip

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Ever since I changed over to DVRs this year I started putting the recorder in the tux breast pocket (inside of course). I also went to microphones with a 1 ft. cord instead of those insane long cables that come on the wireless systems.

The second thing I did ... gaffer's tape!!! I never leave home without it. After putting the mic on the lapel I pull the cable back so it won't hang or fall out and I tape the cable to the inside of the jacket. All it takes is a small piece. I would never even try it with duct tape, but gaffer's tape works every time.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques