Wedding Highlight Length at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Highlight Length

Hello All,

My wedding highlights (I guess I can still call it that) generally consist on two 4-5 min. songs. I generally try to keep it under 10 mins total. The footage consist of bridal prep, ceremony, and the reception. The reason I use two songs, because I like to show the entire day compressed so that the B&G can a short version to show to fam and friends.I see that many videographer's highlights are one song. I know this is probably a preference thing, but should there be a time limit? What do you find works best?

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Troy, I produce highlight films that are about 3-5 minutes in length and typically use just one song. However I will sometimes use multiple songs if I want a mood or tempo change in the highlight. I think the length is up to you, but I will argue my reasoning for 3-5 minutes.

I know the highlights are being produced mainly for the B&G, but almost all of them allow you to share their video publicly and even post it on their facebook. For this reason, I like the shorter highlights because it gives the public viewers a taste or a tease of the film. They are left wondering, "if the highlight looks like this, what does the full length look like?"

Another reason is because the internet generation is used to quick, concise information. No one wants to read or watch a lengthy video to get to the point. They want something that is quick, entertaining, and can be done while the boss isn't looking.

Likewise, the B&G are offered a similar option where they can get a quick look or refresher of their wedding without spending too much time in front of a TV or computer. I have had a bride tell me that she loved being able to quickly watch her recap before heading to work some mornings.
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff. This makes sense.
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Troy, like Jeff we confine it to one song - the clients' choice, though we do ask them not to choose too short a song, ideally 4-6 minutes.

Again like Jeff we use these "Dream" wedding programmes (as we term them) for promotional purposes but change the music for a copyright-cleared track for which we have performance rights. Takes 5 minutes to create a suitable track which keeps us out of trouble with the copyright holders etc.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Our highlights average about 15 minutes. Typically it is either 3 or 4 songs depending on the length of the tracks. Then we let each track tell a part of the day's story. For example, the first track is getting ready, second is the ceremony, third is the reception. There are some clips of speeches, or other choice audio that we sprinkle in to further the story. So far, brides have been happy with the outcome.

I understand the reasoning behind a 3-5 minute clip so that it can easily be shared amongst friends and family online and such, but I feel that's too short of a clip for a final cut for the bride and groom. Their weddings are 5+ hours long, and with the couples we film, there are nice moments that would be a shame to fall to the cutting room floor. And if the tracks that are chosen are powerful and have a pulse, then you don't even realize the time go.
Eric Pasarin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques