New Highlight Vignette at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #1
Wrangler

New Highlight Vignette

Thanks for your feedback all.

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3/...ighlights2.wmv
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Like I said on VU, awesome!
I loved the VO from the priest.
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Toogood
Like I said on VU, awesome!
I loved the VO from the priest.
Hey it's TOOGY- I didn't even know you were a member here- I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Thanks you Jeff.
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #4
Major Player

File Not Found

Hey,

I get a file not found page... not sure why?

Matt Trubac
Matt Trubac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trubac
Hey,

I get a file not found page... not sure why?

Matt Trubac

Try it again.
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Very Nice.

Glen,

That was a great piece. I really like your work.

You shoot with the Raynox XL-3000, correct?
What percentage of your shots do you leave this lens on your camera?

Does the, I believe 3rd shot, of the flower have any special lens attached to the camera, like the fisheye? About how far away from the flower was the camera? Is the next shot, low angle down the center aisle, with a fisheye?

I really like the technique you use, and would like to get a better grasp of how you shoot. I'd like to see things on an actual NTSC monitor instead of computer monitors.

I found a Do It Yourself project, to modify an XL-3000pro Fisheye to fit a DVX-100(a). I think I might try it out.

Great Work!
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:13 AM   #7
Major Player

Great stuff as usual. I really liked the music in that video, what soundtrack is that from?

Also were you using a wide angle lens on your 2100 or the stock configuration?

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #8
Wrangler

Wow, Glen. That was beautiful. The fade up on the dance and subsequent segment was stunning! And it seemed as though you'd had the soundtrack written/arranged especially for this vignette.

Is it just me, or did this video turn out with a slightly softer focus than many of your others? I like the look, but this one seemed more "on the edge" than what I think I've seen of your work. Probably my imagination.

As for the technical info you provided, I felt like the editing was great, the audio nice and clear. This makes me particularly happy because I'll be receiving an iriver 795 next week and was feeling apprehensive about the quaility. I thought the minister sounded quite good.

I believe this is the first time I've replied to one of your posts. Thank you so much for all the help you give and the example you set for us.
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trubac
Glen,

That was a great piece. I really like your work.

You shoot with the Raynox XL-3000, correct?
What percentage of your shots do you leave this lens on your camera?

Does the, I believe 3rd shot, of the flower have any special lens attached to the camera, like the fisheye? About how far away from the flower was the camera? Is the next shot, low angle down the center aisle, with a fisheye?

I really like the technique you use, and would like to get a better grasp of how you shoot. I'd like to see things on an actual NTSC monitor instead of computer monitors.

I found a Do It Yourself project, to modify an XL-3000pro Fisheye to fit a DVX-100(a). I think I might try it out.

Great Work!
I don't believe any of the shots in this piece were with the fish-eye. The wide angle shots were either a Canon WD-58 or my favorite the Century Optics .55x bayonette. I'm finding more and more ways, however, to incorporate fish-eye shots.
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Wow, Glen. That was beautiful. The fade up on the dance and subsequent segment was stunning! And it seemed as though you'd had the soundtrack written/arranged especially for this vignette.

Is it just me, or did this video turn out with a slightly softer focus than many of your others? I like the look, but this one seemed more "on the edge" than what I think I've seen of your work. Probably my imagination.

As for the technical info you provided, I felt like the editing was great, the audio nice and clear. This makes me particularly happy because I'll be receiving an iriver 795 next week and was feeling apprehensive about the quaility. I thought the minister sounded quite good.

I believe this is the first time I've replied to one of your posts. Thank you so much for all the help you give and the example you set for us.

Thanks Lorinda, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Have fun with your 795, they are truly godsends to ceremony audio aquisition.
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #11
Still Motion

Glen,

I really love the way you consistently manipulate your images. All of the shots looks very similar to a diffuse glow in Photoshop and I find that having that feel to every clip really ties it together. I also really enjoyed how you followed the brides emotion through the whole day and as the venue changed you saw how her expression changed. I think that is something she, and her family, will go crazy for.

I did find that the zooming on the vows caught my attention a little. It looked as though you zoomed in half way, stopped for a second then zoomed again. I think I noticed it twice. That's the problem with producing work like this, you can't get away with anything.

I was wondering how much input you give the couple when they book you. Do they have any input over the music suggestions and general feel of the video, or do you take that portion over entirely? And one more question, do you do a reception montage as well of things like the bouquet and garter toss, cake cutting, and random dance footage? If you do, I would really enjoy it if you could post something like that. I think it is a clip that you have a hard time doing in this slow romantic style and I would be very interested to see how your style changes with the tempo.

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Another brilliant piece... as usual.. :)
Not my style of music personally so it threw me off a litte.. but im a little wierd.. the choice itself was ok, but i am personally just over that genre of music in general.
I liek your choice of shots for one main reason..
it felt raw and it didnt feel too staged. The hardest thing we do is learn the ability to present something in a cinematic way, but also present certain key pieces in a rawer, more natural way, without it tryin too hard to be a movie.. it brings out more character in the piece this way and you nailed it :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
Glen,

I really love the way you consistently manipulate your images. All of the shots looks very similar to a diffuse glow in Photoshop and I find that having that feel to every clip really ties it together. I also really enjoyed how you followed the brides emotion through the whole day and as the venue changed you saw how her expression changed. I think that is something she, and her family, will go crazy for.

I did find that the zooming on the vows caught my attention a little. It looked as though you zoomed in half way, stopped for a second then zoomed again. I think I noticed it twice. That's the problem with producing work like this, you can't get away with anything.

I was wondering how much input you give the couple when they book you. Do they have any input over the music suggestions and general feel of the video, or do you take that portion over entirely? And one more question, do you do a reception montage as well of things like the bouquet and garter toss, cake cutting, and random dance footage? If you do, I would really enjoy it if you could post something like that. I think it is a clip that you have a hard time doing in this slow romantic style and I would be very interested to see how your style changes with the tempo.

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick
I usually conduct 2 pre-production meetings either in person or on the phone (or both). The first one showing them a wider variety of my work and finished weddings as they are delivered to the client. The second meeting, usually, closer to the event date is to get an itinerary and shot list from notes I take from asking questions about the day. I find out the most important things to the couple and make sure I add them to my shot list.

I always give the couple the choice on music- however 99% of them give me full creative licence beings they like my previous work and trust my taste.

What you saw was a highlight montage/vignette that recaps the entire day- which is placed at the end of the video as a recap. There are two other portions edited this way which include Bridal Prep (if applicable), and Photosession Montage. The ceremony and reception are shown in a more straight forward style using mulitple cameras. 3 cams for ceremony- 2 for reception. The only other slow motion or artistic editing is done for the dance sequences (first dance, parents dances, and occasionally a fast-dance montage).

I've posted a clip fairly recently- one that some people JUST requested I repost that was edited with a very fast tempo. Fast cuts, edited rythmically to the beat. More of a fun piece than an emotional retrospective.
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
Another brilliant piece... as usual.. :)
Not my style of music personally so it threw me off a litte.. but im a little wierd.. the choice itself was ok, but i am personally just over that genre of music in general.
I liek your choice of shots for one main reason..
it felt raw and it didnt feel too staged. The hardest thing we do is learn the ability to present something in a cinematic way, but also present certain key pieces in a rawer, more natural way, without it tryin too hard to be a movie.. it brings out more character in the piece this way and you nailed it :)
I like to capture as much content canddidly as possible. However it's necessary on some occassions to pose them. The clients already know this and I make them aware that I will, occassionally, pose them. They never mind because they see the end result and a posed shot may take all of 30 seconds to complete.

Thanks for the kind words Peter.
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Glen-

Awesome as usual...you inspire me with every clip I see...the soft glow, the music, the angles...the audio! Where is that music from?

yeah, the couple hesitant zooms caught my attention a bit, but you did need to be a bit closer for emotion and the end result (where you ended up) was perfect!

How do you sell this higlight video? Is it at the end of your main video? As an option? A seperate DVD? Or part of a package? Not asking how much you charge, just how sell it...
Seth Palmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques