Transport at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 6th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
New Boot

Transport

Hello all,

Trying to figure out the best way to transport my equipment to various weddings (both locally and via airline).

My main concerns are:

-Ease of carrying/transporting (Wheels, etc)
-Security (Ability to lock)
-Durability (Protection from baggage throwers at airports)
-Versatility (Ability to story/carry types of equipment/cams + configurable compartments)

I've been looking at both soft cases, and at pelican cases (specifically the ones sold by Zacuto).

I will be transporting both a Panasonic HPX-170p, as well as a Canon 7D, along with various rail systems, on-camera monitors, microphones, follow focus units, shoulder mounting equipment etc.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks to anyone who can help....
Eric
Eric Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Pelican... Especially when flying.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Ditto on Pelican cases. Even use mine as a seat during half time while shooting football games on the roof of the press box. Plus, I can tie a rope to the big Pelican and hoist it up to the roof without having to worry about any damage to the equipment inside if it bangs around on the trip up. Plus more, they're waterproof and I've been happy to have them in some of our Florida Monsoon thunderstorms.
Old October 7th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Eric,

I actually use a Cinebag for most of my hauling. It is small enough to be carry on, but has tons of space and even room for your laptop. I haven't taken it on board flight yet, but I have read quite a few reviews about how easy to carry on it is. I personally would panic knowing my camera, laptop, etc. are down below. Some things are less important, but the main brains got the be nearby.

Here is a link to the bag I use, they do make it in another color, but I for some reason or another got camo, who knows why.

CineBags - Life on Location
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Trustee

I've seen one too many things broken by the airlines even when packed in TSA approved hard cases so my essentials don't leave my side in a soft case. Generally my carry on has 2 cameras, enough batteries & media to last the event, & maybe a mic or two if I can fit it. I'll toss minimal personal effects in there, sometimes wrapping a camera in a shirt, another in shorts or pants & find somewhere to place a couple travel sized hygene products, usually in the side pocket just in case of spill. Buying clothes on short notice is far easier and cheaper than buying cameras or mics.

Since you're shooting the 7D you might wanna pack it with a zoom lens for the most coverage options in case your usual lenses are put on a plane to Zimbabwe & also maybe one small fast prime for low light. All the things you don't absolutely need to make an image can be put under the plane or shipped in advance via FedEx if they pack too large like big heavy light kits, c-stands, or jibs.

An alternative to shipping your own gear is renting while in town. Posting your needs in the help wanted section here might not be a bad idea & depending on what you're trying to take, it might not cost much more than shipping, plus you save the sleepless nights leading up to the trip & worry about the evil baggage handlers.

Call me paranoid, but I like to know that I can shoot the event with what I've physically got with me. If my tripods get mangled under the plane I can get by with whatever I can purchase at the local walmart or bestbuy (if that's all they've got) & make it through the day.

Good luck.

-Ethan Cooper

Last edited by Ethan Cooper; October 7th, 2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: changed ATA to TSA. never post before you're awake.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Major Player

I've got the Pelican 1600 and love it. I got a yellow one, the more obvious and obnoxious it is.... the better it is, as far as I am concerned. My thoughts on the color, if it were to walk away, as out of place as the color is, someone might actually notice it leaving. The black ones.... to generic and forgettable IMO.

Now the TSA approved and TSA accessible locks you need for flying. The only thing those are going to do, if you get the Pelican ones, is keep honest people.. honest. A good wire cutters and I swear you'd be through them.

I'll go along with Ethan on this, carry the cams and check the rest. When I had a corporate day job some years back, we were instructed our laptop / mobile office were to never be checked, for the reasons Ethan states. If we lost our laptops, like your cams, we were out of commission completely.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques