Linear or non linear wedding highlights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Trustee

Linear or non linear wedding highlights

Do you use linear or non linear style on wedding highlights? Why? Also, do you interleave the B&G prep shots? Why?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Major Player

No right answer to this Jim. -:) We personally go for the non-linear highlights (although not always) but its a matter of personal preference. Some can build a nice narrative with non-linear editing and some can do the same with the linear option. We prefer it that way because it seems more interesting than to go from A to B, and that's it really.

Regarding the combination of B&G shots, we do both. Other times we seperate them and other times we combine. It depends entirely on the way we have thought about approaching the material. To tell the truth though, I prefer the combined option. It gives the sense of two people approaching simultaneously a common destination or something like that. It feels a bit more dramatic but as said before, its a matter of personal taste. No right or wrong (I suppose) -:)
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Depends on the customers. I've had some who want a linear set of highlights. I've had others who want a montage of what the day felt like. Talk to the customer and find out.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Trustee

The non linear style allows for more creativity as long as it supports a story line. I have seen some highlights that just seemed to jump around for no apparent reason. I find those to be disjointed and irritating.

When there is an establishing scene that folds back to an earlier point in time, that can be very nice. Interleaving the B&G prep shots gives a sense of harmony and common preparation and anticipation.

I agree this isn't a 'wrong way' or 'right way' issue but it's helpful to hear others' thoughts on this.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey Jim,

You are right ..it takes practice to effectively present a non-linear edit on a highlight..as for us given that we are big fans of great Filipino videographers Mayad and JMagbanua, we just do not find satisfaction in a linear edit, we save that for the final dvd...just like what Dmitris said its personal preference.

Kren
Vertical Video Works | www.verticalvideoworks.com
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #6
Trustee

I find I'm mostly driven by the music - if there are natural breaks, thats where I can put some audio for the day, vows,speeches etc - everything else seems to build around that - I guess that means I'm non-linear.
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

We like to interleave the B&G preps as it gives the illusion of things happening at the same time.
If they send each other gifts or notes in the morning it's good to edit it in a way that it looks like they are opening/reading at the same time.
Andrew Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Trustee

Jim, we regard the highlights programme as our opportunity to indulge our creative licence so the techniques we use vary. It's also the section where the client has little or no input or control other than choosing the music.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques