What are you using to present video at coffee shops? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Major Player

What are you using to present video at coffee shops?

I just bought an HP laptop because it plays Blu-Ray and is 17 inches viewable. Unfortunately it has a super-gloss screen that picks up every reflection imaginable. I wish I could go Apple, but I can't do Blu-Ray with it. Thoughts?
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't show them our work in coffee shops. When we meet, we just talk about their wedding. 90% of them already saw our work on the blog. We also always ask them to watch our work when we're setting up our meeting via email. Try not to make the meeting about selling your product but instead, try to make it about getting to know each other a bit more. They are booking you as a person anyways.

Having said that, I do have my ipads all the time if I need to show some short examples e.g. ring shot, venues, decorations, etc etc.

hope that helps :)
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Major Player

I second Santo,

Also if you can have a personal phone conversation with them too before meeting them (you may find you'll book them without even meeting as I have) the meeting in face to face could almost be just a get to know each other meeting and getting them to warm to you so on the day you will have a better connection with the couple.

But if you do need to play HD video I would say iPad is the best option at the moment.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Trustee

Dana, whatever you show them ought, in my view, be seen in the environment when they can best make a serious judgment about it. I wouldn't think a coffee shop, with the attendant distractions and noise would be that. We always encourage them to view the demo DVDs at home. Of course that might not be distraction-free but it's the best chance we've got.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Major Player

We bring a laptop.

It's perfect because I can quickly update it with the latest videos, jump on the web if we need to (and have wifi), and I have my samples organized in folders (2010 highlights, love stories, trash the dresses, etc.).

Best of all, you can show full HD video and don't need to waste a blu ray :D
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ipad... Small, lightweight, and it still wows the client. They love playing with it.

I only do wedding photography now - They love flipping through the albums.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Major Player

We've tried to get away from coffee shops. Our service area is pretty large, though, and even though we have a studio, most of our clients need to meet us within 20 minutes of where they live. I've also found that our clients expect us to show them something, and I would rather guide them through our Blu-Ray and highlight how utterly cool we are than send out a demo. Plus it gives us talking points along the way. I guess the downside is our meetings average 1 1/2 hours!

Aaron, what laptop do you use? I'm also curious how you present HD. I'm assuming it's Quicktime. I'm just nervous about playing something that labor intensive on a laptop without the threat of hiccups.

The iPad seems too small, although I guess a couple could hold it.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #8
Major Player

We are PC based and use VLC for playback of our videos. It's really light on resources and handles HD videos terrifically.

VideoLAN - VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

The laptop is a dual core HP we got for $600-70. Nothing special except that it has those cool circle graphics on it.

When we meet at a noisy place, we usually have the audio barely on and we will talk throughout the video.
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
I wish I could go Apple, but I can't do Blu-Ray with it. Thoughts?
My thoughts: Go Apple and show them HD files in Quicktime. For burning the couple's Blu Ray discs, pick up a Lacie external Blu Ray writer.
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Major Player

I recently had a bride contact me and she didn't want to drive the hour to my studio. She asked if we could meet at a coffee shop. I said no. She drove to my studio and booked me.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Major Player

On the flip side of Michael, it's great to say "I know other places make you run around to all their studios, would it work better for you if we met in your area when you have some free time?"
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Major Player

I use my laptop with 2 sets of a good quality head phone that has a mute button.
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Mayberry View Post
On the flip side of Michael, it's great to say "I know other places make you run around to all their studios, would it work better for you if we met in your area when you have some free time?"
Personally, I think it sounds desperate and unprofessional meeting them somewhere. That's just my opinion.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #14
Major Player

It depends on the area. We live in Surprise, on the NW corner of Phoenix. When we get a call from a suburb on the opposite side of town, they generally have no problem driving a half hour to meet us in the middle. But then there is a wealthy suburb that generally expects to meet within a few blocks of their house, and won't drive any farther. So it totally depends on the client. Some would rather drive a little to see a professional studio, but it seems most just want to meet us.
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Mayberry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
Personally, I think it sounds desperate and unprofessional meeting them somewhere. That's just my opinion.
I second that. You'll find that they would think that you're desperate rather than thinking that you're so kind. They would be more suspicious rather than respectful. Definitely get them to drive to your area.
If they are interested in you, they'll make the effort.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques