Promotional Mailers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 25th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Promotional Mailers

I know this promo materials (brochures specifically) have been recently discussed, but I was wondering who does promotional material through the mail, and if so, what do you include in the package?

I might be in a situation in the near future where I would have a list of B&G's addresses, and was thinking about doing some type of mail marketing.

Besides a DVD with your demo reel on it, and a brochure, what else would you include?
What you include on the dvd beside the demo reel?
What sort of packaging would you use?

I appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, pictures you may have to offer.
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Unsolicited direct mail marketing has a response rate of about 3%. This means 97% of your investment in this type of promotion is wasted. I'd investigate other promotional avenues first. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Trustee

John, Chip's numbers hold good for the UK market too so I'd endorse his comments. Additionally the wedding market is transient ie people are B&G for only a relatively short time. On the other hand, for example, if you're selling meat pizzas the only houses that aren't worth mailing are those where vegetarians live.

The only exception I'd personally make is a list of people attending a Wedding Fair. When we can get such lists (and people here are very wary of getting on to mailing lists) we always mail them all a demo pack - a) because the direct mail people tell you that a repeat mailing is often worthwhile, and b) in case we missed them on the day. In this case though it's vital that the mailing is done within seven or ten days of the fair. Be sure though, Chip's numbers still hold - but this time the totals are much lower and the recipients are at least interested.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
The only exception I'd personally make is a list of people attending a Wedding Fair...
...Be sure though, Chip's numbers still hold
This is precisely the type of list I would be attaining.
Really, the numbers are still the same??? That's de-moralizing...
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Trustee

John, the numbers are the same because they all assume that the direct mail piece is relevant to the target market. In your/our case the relevance is very tight but the total target is accordingly smaller. The percentage stays pretty much the same.

Incidentally, the numbers also assume you do a covering letter that conforms to all the research and best practice. This includes the way people "read" DM, the way it's laid out and the actual content of the covering letter (you can probably tell that in another life one of our clients was the DM section of the UK Post Office!)

Since then John, the value and thus effectiveness of DM has declined even further, largely due to the effect of new media like email.

On the bright side, if we convert just one of the mail shots we do to 100-200 wedding fair guests then we've more than covered our costs - and that's including a demo pack to each which we estimate costs us UKL1.50 to produce and UKL1 to mail.

Whether we like it or not, effective marketing is a major element in any business; sadly it costs money and a bit of learning. The old saw that "I know 50% of our advertising is wasted, if I knew which 50% I'd not do it" is not a joke but absolutely true.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news there John, but just look at what you do and what makes you "pop" and then apply that to almost all advertising.

That list is great, but get a bit creative with the contact. Build a facebook account and see how many of those people you can locate and request to be friends. Those that do, maybe then mail them a personalized promo packet. You might boost that percentage and possibly eliminate a lot of the waste.

It's the unsolicited part that makes it junk mail. If someone can see some connection, at least I do, they might take some time to see what it is before they toss it in the trash.

You have to remember, you and a bazillion other vendors have that same list. Those on it are going to be approached for anything and everything, so you have to stand out in some way, to get some results.

If this is a bridal fair that is local, maybe have a friend go and be a faux bride for a day. Afterward ask them to watch at what they receive and when. That way you will have some idea of what other are doing and see how much or little the attendees have to deal with after.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
Build a facebook account and see how many of those people you can locate and request to be friends. Those that do, maybe then mail them a personalized promo packet. You might boost that percentage and possibly eliminate a lot of the waste.
Good suggestion - just might do that...
John Kopec is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques