SDE Viewing Options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Major Player

SDE Viewing Options

I'm thinking of venturing into the SDE world next year and was mapping out resource needs.One thing I'm wondering about is how others are handling the actual viewing. Do any of you provide projection services as part of your package? I had an experience recently where we had a showing of an engagement video that was done via two 10' screens provided by the DJ. The projectors were very poor and the image quality was really bad. It was very diassapointing to have put a lot of work into the video and see it come out that way. So my thought is to provide the viewing services so I can have that in my control. With the price of flat panel displays plummeting, I was thinking that may be a better way to go vs projection. The setup would be 4 screens (40-50 inch) mounted on stands in each corner of the venue. Ideally I'd like a wireless solution to transmit to each display. Does this sound viable or more trouble than it's worth? I know I'd have to hire another set of hands to take care of the setup. Thoughts?
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Major Player

I think its a lot more trouble than its worth and here are my thoughts on it in outline form:

I. In order to get a wireless system capable of transmitting video to 4 separate HD monitors with acceptable image quality, you're going to have to spend a small fortune, or trade a body limb.

II. 4 monitors around the room wouldn't be as effective as 1 or 2 large screens with projectors in the front, plus with the screen in the front you'd get more a of a communal watching than if you separate the eyes into 4 corners.

III. The stands capable of holding the monitors are:
1) huge
a) so you'd need a truck to bring them to the party
b) you'll going to need a space in your home / studio / storage location large enough to store the idle stands.
c) they may get away at the reception hall during non-viewing of sde activities
2) somewhat expensive
3) kinda ugly

IV. The monitors themselves are expensive, and need to be replaced more often than a screen. They can also be damaged more easily than a screen and a projector can be transported in a foam pelican case at a much smaller footprint.

// end of outline.

What I do / have done in the past, is to use a projector with large screen in the front.. This is easy to transport in even a regular car and you can put the screen through the center of the seats if the back seat has an opening / folds down.

Good luck with what ever you choose!

EDIT:: AHHH, I had it nicely formatted but the forum software just put all of it in a line :(
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Louis - those are all good points. I hadn't thought about the "communal" aspect of the single larger screen
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Unless you can really control the light level well then any projected image will look very washed out. TVs have a real punchiness to them & can be viewed in full daylight. It all depends on the size of the wedding but one 50" or 60" screen could easily suffice. You can leave the SDE playing on a loop so that everyone gets a chance to view it if the crowd is very large.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Major Player

yeah- that's what a like about the flat panel display is the clarity and brightness. It depends on the size of the reception too. The wedding I was referring to was in a huge room with 550 guests. They had a 10' foot screen on each side of the room. It would have taken several smaller displays to cover, Our average wedding size though is 150 -200 guests so maybe one or two well placed displays (50-60") could do the trick. The other concern I had about the projector route was the amount of space needed. I'm assuming to rear project onto a 10' screen you'd need at least 10-15 feet between the projector and screen. I'm thinking that may difficult in a smaller crowded venue.
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Trustee

Art, I'd never get into SDE anyway but I do have experience of showing unedited 3D at the reception - which has similar considerations.

Our objective from the start was to get an edge over our competitors, to gain some PR, and to add some wow factor for the guests. We succeeded on the first two but, because 3D isn't seen by everybody, the wow factor wasn't universal. The result amongst those people was that the quality they saw was the quality of our main product.

On top of that the screen, screenmount, easel and cabling added to an already heavy equipment load on the day.

So, for next year we'll still do the recording but we'll not show it at the reception - only to the clients at the showing of their main video - DVD and Blu-ray. We'll archive the two streams until there's an established standard and then offer the clients a 3D authoring.

The opinion I'm passing on is that whatever you show, at an SDE, in a store window or at a wedding fair must represent the quality of your main work.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Major Player

For what it's worth, I would recommend you find a company that provides quality projector and screen rentals and send the couples to them. You can't underestimate a good projector. I have seen some that made me cringe.

There are surely services in your area that can deliver right to the reception venue, so do a little research and find the one that provides the best quality equipment. Build a relationship and either recommend them to the couple, or build it into the price and do it yourself.
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Major Player

The rule for screen to audience is 1 inch for every person ( diagonal). That means if you have 100 guest, the screen size should be 100 inches diagonally.

With regards to projection vs. plasma on stands. It would really depend on the venue, if you can control lighting as someone else had mentioned then go for the projection system, if not go with the plasma on stands.

I have asked this question before, if you are presenting HD, how do you overcome the projection screen aspect ratio of 4:3?
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I have asked this question before, if you are presenting HD, how do you overcome the projection screen aspect ratio of 4:3?
You use a screen with 16:9 aspect ratio.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Nigel, I guess I should have been more specific. Having 16:9 screen is perfect of course. But in the event that the venue or the client has a 4:3 screen, how do you guys present it? Do you down convert? Most of the SDEs I have seen here are in the 16:9 format so I am curious if a the 16:9 screens are taking over in other parts of the world. I have yet to see a 16:9 screen at hotels & venues here.
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
For what it's worth, I would recommend you find a company that provides quality projector and screen rentals and send the couples to them. You can't underestimate a good projector. I have seen some that made me cringe.

I like this idea - stick to my knitting and bring in experts for the viewing requirements. I'm not trying to make money on this I just want my product to be shown in the best possible light.
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hi Nigel, I guess I should have been more specific. Having 16:9 screen is perfect of course. But in the event that the venue or the client has a 4:3 screen, how do you guys present it? Do you down convert? Most of the SDEs I have seen here are in the 16:9 format so I am curious if a the 16:9 screens are taking over in other parts of the world. I have yet to see a 16:9 screen at hotels & venues here.
A 16:9 image can be projected onto a 4:3 screen. At the cinema they pull drapes down/up to mask off the spare areas of white screen top & bottom but normally we just have to live with it. It's just the same if I am using my projector at home to watch a Cinemascope movie on my 16:9 projection screen.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques