New Wedding Package Approach at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 17th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Major Player

New Wedding Package Approach

Ok so this coming year of 2011 I have decided to do 2 things:

Firstly -- raise my prices a little bit since everyone is saying they are too low.
Secondly -- Instead of an hourly time deal, I offer two packages with "all day coverage" (starts at getting ready and ends at last event at the reception)

The packages include:
all day coverage,
2-3 camera coverage,
wireless audio,
editing,
final dvd(s)

The only difference between the 2 packages is that the first package is $1495 with one videographer, and the 2nd package is $1995 with 2 videographers and also includes using the 5D for some shots.

What do you all think and does anyone have any suggestions or insight regarding this?

Silas
Sacramento Wedding & Corporate Videographer | Roseville Folsom Tahoe | Silas's Videography
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I would honestly avoid distinguishing your packages by things like number of assistants or equipment used. Brides can't relate to any of that generally. Instead, distinguish your packages by products that your brides can relate to. You'll find it's easier to sell.
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Major Player

good point..........I don't list it like that on the website, but perhaps the first package is more documentary and the second more cinematic in a nutshell, because thats how it works out....
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

wouldn't you need to at least mention the number of people going to the wedding as the b&g needs to accomodate for their meals?
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Silas

My biggest issue was listing my prices in hours rather than give a "package" that the bride can understand. If you tell her "We cover the bridal preparation, ceremony, photoshoot....etc etc" As Travis says, she can relate to that.

However if you simply say 10 hours for $1495 ...she doesn't understand what she will actually get AND she can do some simple math and realise that you are charging $149.50 an hour (she doesn't even consider the editing side which is included)

Look at what you are offering from a bride's point of view...completely non technical and they will love it!! They don't want to know the specs of your camera and all it's features!! They just want a wedding film!!!
I have a mate who spends more time showing off his still camera to the bride than worrying about her requirements and he wonders why they won't book him???

Simply let the bride know what you will provide and she will automatically see it as excellent value against your price. When I dropped the "5, 7 and 10 hour packages" from my website, a few years ago, and changed them to "what you will get" packages...I never had a booking problem!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Chris Harding:
Exactly!
That is why I decided to make these changes, and on my website I listed it in way that targets the bride....
Rather then having a bride select a hourly package like I used too, it makes more sense for me to just charge X amount and shoot the whole wedding and get everything that needs to be shot.

So I just wrote:
Coverage of entire day (getting ready to the last event at reception), Multiple Camera Coverage, Video Editing Included, etc

On another note, I am still trying to figure out if I should completely switch over to DSLR shooting or how to implement it. its slower to set up and not exactly run and gun, but then again, perhaps its more like setting each shot up if you go that direction..... I am not sure? Any thoughts about that?

Maybe I'll start a new thread....
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Major Player

We used to have an all day package.... Until we started getting into Indian weddings, then that changed very quickly as they can easy go from preps at 6:00am to open dancing not starting till midnight. I would always avoid anything in your pricing structure that would make it easy for a bride to try an eleminate in an effort to save money.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Talawe View Post
wouldn't you need to at least mention the number of people going to the wedding as the b&g needs to accomodate for their meals?
Those details come up when discussing the contract and terms. It's not necessary in your package descriptions on the website.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #9
Major Player

our clients ranging from asian to western weddings where the asian ones can start from 7am in the morning because of tea ceremonies, gate crashes and stuff while the western ones usually starts at 1pm.

I think its not fair to just price it by events because the workload is a lot different between the two shooting-wise and editing-wise.

We charge perhour starting from 10 hours and do a full day coverage package once the wedding is more than 16 hours day.

What are your take on this? would love to hear other people's thoughts as well.

Sorry Silas, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread but i think this might be relevant to you as well :)

Santo
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #10
Major Player

Perhaps while discussing an Indian wedding or other type of event it should be stated what my "all day coverage means" or perhaps give a 8 or 10 hour limit if asked. That's plenty of time for most western weddings. But to the general western weddings you there is no need to say how many hours. For other cultures perhaps a clause in the contract limiting the hours or something would be wise.

I would say if you are doing multi camera shooting, do about $200 or more per hour. (includes editing). That was my pricing structure for my old wedding packages that had hourly limits.

My base package right now is
$1495
1 videographer, multi camera (2-3), glidecam, wireless audio
"all day coverage" (getting ready to last event of reception)
highlight editing 45-90 minute video
1 dvd
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #11
Major Player

Its the unorganized brideszilla you have to watch for... some brides have some idea about time needed for makeup shots, location shoot, etc.. but some are just clueless

I have had two bad experiences with unorganized brides. They booked me for a package that includes an 8 hours coverage. Then closer to the day, I found out myself that the whole event is actually far more than that! I hate to break the news to them that I have to charge extra.. some will accept but some will argue and everything..

Ever since that, my minimum coverage is 10 hours.. and I will try to make sure before they signed the deal, they lock in the right package and emphasize to them that extra hour of coverage will apply otherwise!
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Talawe View Post
I can see that you are one of those who expects a free meal:-) There was a recent discussion on this subject with diverse views http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...u-get-fed.html
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

I see Philip H hasn't chipped in here yet but I do know that his package covers the bride's wedding totally..if she needs an extra hour or runs an hour over it's all covered!!!

The way I look at it with most brides is that they have me for the day and yes, I usually start around 1pm and finish at 11:30pm for a Western wedding ... I am certainly getting paid a lot more than if I was working for a boss so for me, it's not a big deal if the bride wants me 30 minutes early or I have to wait 30 minutes !! I have allocated the day to her wedding and let's face it...you don't exactly shoot the entire 12 hours you are on site!! (Imagine having to edit 12 hours from each camera!!!) You probably have a good 2 or more hours of slack time as you are not going to film 2 -3 hours of dancing before the bridal farewell!!!

If you do Asian weddings and they plan morning tea ceremonies then put that as an extra!! I did a Vietnamese wedding where the first tea ceremony was at 8am, the next at 10am and the bride only got married in the afternoon. There is nothing wrong with quoting tea ceremonies as extras if they fall outside the Western hours od sorta mid-day to midnight (a lot here do the tea before the reception now)

For me a full coverage is basically from after lunch to just before midnight ...other specials are catered for as extra shoots!!

Yeah, the meal debate went on for ages !! I don't specify a meal but almost always get one...guess my brides are kind to me??? I have had a few where I didn't get fed and that's no big deal...swing by a McDonalds on the way home and grab a burger!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #14
Major Player

I present our packages the same way as Travis (Bride Prep/Ceremony/Park/Reception). I have included a clause that we leave the reception when all the amenities are done ( speeches/cake cutting/throw/etc). You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you finish early as the couple had finished all the amenities early, sometimes we get a request to shoot the midnight seafood buffet which is fine as well.

We do get hit with Chinese weddings wherein the groom should be at the Bride's place by 7am. So basically our package averages 12 hours/day, sometimes we end in 10, sometimes we go over by 3.

My 2 cents.
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Silas, my opinion rather than have 2 options. Make a foot note on the one package that says add another videographer for $ 500. Or keep the 2 camera package and add a foot note ( budget constraints take off $ 500 to make it a single camera shoot).

Brides love to have the power to choose.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques