Clients Very Disappointed... - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 31st, 2011, 08:14 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: Clients Very Disappointed...

Hi Noel

I must admit I have never had such a scary request. Believe it or not some idiot WILL take on the job, probably at a lot lower cost than your price too.

Item 2 would scare me the most I think!!! and also the footage review???? Who actually would set a quality standard ???

Serious would anyone actually shoot 12 hours of footage in 12 hours??? and of course you forgot to mention that the 12 hours of raw footage needs to fit onto a standard DVD too!!! (I had a ethnic bride who really exected non stop footage from 6 pm to midnight and it must fit on 1 DVD!!!!)

Good Miss Noel...I wouldn't have touched that one either!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:22 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
This post sounds like your saying that I'm unfamiliar with the needs of my clients. Which couldn't be further from the truth. All I'm saying is that you either want product A or product B. Most clients want my product, but this particular person would have been happier with a less expensive, simpler video. There's nothing I can do, as I will not change my shooting or editing style to appease someone. As this is the reason I thought one would book me to begin with
This is my first client that isn't happy with the final video, which is unsettling for me.... The complaints were well out of my control... Regardless of which shooting/editing style.

Steve
i completely agree with this. There are other videographers in my area that "customize" their wedding coverage for each couple. This would be a nightmare for me, I wouldn't really know what each couple truly expected.

I make sure every client gets a full length DVD of a prior wedding. I explain to them that this it pretty much what their DVD will be like. This is my product and style and this is what they will get.
It took me a while and I now have an air tight contract. It's saved a lot of headaches.

Speaking of red flags, every difficult client (I've had very few, knock on wood), I could have predicted from the start. When we were starting out, I found it really hard to pass on any gig. After a few problems, I find it really easy to pass when I see trouble.
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:16 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Hi William

I'm a big believer in "what you see is what you are going to get!!!" I think it's only fair to show the couple a recent wedding....if they don't like your work then it's far better for you NOT to get the job than promise the moon and stars and end up with a bride saying "....but we expected......and this is nothing like you promised."

If they have already seen examples of recent weddings on DVD you are going to get no nasty surprises after the wedding when it's time to pay up or complain.

Just for interest, I don't supply a full DVD of just ONE wedding but a combination of my 4 weddings the previous month...cos we have plenty of outdoor ceremonies too..I pop in a recent Civil and Church ceremony and then mix up the rest so the bride can see exactly how you handle each event from Prep right to Final Farewell (but only one speech)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:51 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Noel

I must admit I have never had such a scary request. Believe it or not some idiot WILL take on the job, probably at a lot lower cost than your price too.

Good Miss Noel...I wouldn't have touched that one either!!!

Chris
Hi Chris, I am pretty sure a studio just starting out would take on this. Either they come out stronger after this or they quit the industry all together.
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM   #80
Major Player

4. 12 hour day does that mean we get 12 hours of footage? Thanks to Travis for this, I told them it means 12 hour presence.

I literally had a bride email me today and I'm shooting her wedding this June. I have 10 hours written in my contract. She thought she could break up the 10 hours and told me I can go home and rest for a few hours after the church and return for the cocktail hour. This still has to play out..
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM   #81
Inner Circle

Hey Michael

That's always a tricky one to deal with...if the Church is across the road from your house then there is no issue putting your feet up for a few hours and treating it as two jobs (one in the afternoon and one in the evening) I don't even mind my place happens to be directly on the way from the Church to Reception so stopping off is no biggy!!!

However in fairness, if a bride wants a 7 hour package BUT broken down into 3 hours in the afternoon and 4 hours in the evening then she needs to do just that..book a 3 hour package PLUS a 4 hour package and hopefully it will cost more than if she took a 7 hour!! That way you are partially compensated!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques