Prices, yes or no? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Prices, yes or no?

Hi guys
I was just wondering what everyone's approach is regarding having visible prices and packages on your website. These are some points that I've been considering:

Prices On -->
- very clear for the couple as they see exactly what they get and what price
- it allows you to specify seasonal offers, etc...
- from the couples point of view, is this better, clearer?
- more??

Prices Off --> (stating a 'from' price)
- It allows you to offer bespoke prices depending on the enquiry and your specific economical needs at the time of the enquiry
- not so clear/fair?
- the couple write to you enquiring about the price therefore you have them one step closer to booking you

what does everyone think about this?

thanks!
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Major Player

"It allows you to offer bespoke prices depending on the enquiry and your specific economical needs at the time of the enquiry". I may have misunderstood, but do you mean basing your prices based on how much money you have currently?

I keep my prices online for a number of reasons. First, it acts as a filter, thereby increasing my booking rate when I'm contacted (less "window shoppers"). Second, it provides a fair, across the board guide for everyone. I do offer promotions occasionally, but otherwise I do not want brides to feel like I have "preferred pricing" for special customers. For instance, if two brides were friends, and I offered them the same package for different prices, I would have to answer to that and I wouldn't want to be in that position. Just my opinion.
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Trustee

In my opinion, not posting prices only makes sense when you're the only game in town. You said by not posting prices, "the couple write to you enquiring about the price therefore you have them one step closer to booking you". I would say it's much more likely the couple will move on to your competition who is a bit more clear about the cost.

I'd rather eliminate the tire-kickers and have my rates plainly visible.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Major Player

on site

Prices on site have worked very well for me. 9 out of 10 brides buy from me. I don't put the prices for things like Highlight Video, Blu Ray, extra hours etc. You have to keep some things a secret, but this gives them idea of what you cost.

You can also say that your editing packages start at $2200 or something like that.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Guillermo

Not only do we post our prices very clearly but also encourage viewers to download a pdf chart which allows them to compare our value with others offering pick and mix menus.

It emphasises our value, presents some nails for them to nail our competition's coffins and reduces those who, whilst appreciating the value, may not have the budget. It helps them as much as it helps us.

Of course it's easier for us because we only have a single all-inclusive price but clients like that too and it's easier to reduce if on very special occasions they simply don't want the full monte eg a bride who'd just lost her father didn't have video or photographer at the church.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Trustee

I've had a couple of comments from clients saying they really appreciated the pricing page instead of having to make an enquiry - it can be a real turn off to some having to email and then put up with the sales routine.
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Like so many things, the answer to this question involves a number of variables that are specific to everyone's business and market.

We list our starting price because for us it's better to save ourselves the time on the phone with brides that could never afford us. We don't list all of our pricing, not because we're trying to keep it secret from the competition, but because we want to have the opportunity to walk the couple through things. So for us, if a couple isn't inspired enough by our work to want to send us an inquiry ... they probably weren't the right couple for us anyways.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques