Nikon D3100 or Canon T2i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 11th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Nikon D3100 or Canon T2i?

Ok we went to the store to buy a couple of T2i's but the clerk indicated that since we will be using the cameras specifically for video, he suggested the new Nikon with its price and AF on video mode..so we hesitated and went back home and research more about D3100

Just starting to look around the web on the Nikons thought i'd ask people here have experience in using either cams specifically for weddings..
I know Steve Williams and Joel Peregrine uses the T2i.

Thanks,

Kren
Vertical Video Works* Winnipeg Videography
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Kren,

I can't speak for the Nikon but I know that after shooting more than 30 events with the T2i since April I'm very happy with the way its performed. A couple of related threads might help:

Canon 550D (T2i) vs Nikon D3100 [Archive] - nV News Forums
(There is a review down the page by someone that had both cameras to test.)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...100-video.html
"...A quick check of the specs for the camera show that it's far lower bitrate recording than the Canon (which is already marginal), it has less than half the pixels in that 3" LCD screen so focusing with it will nearly be impossible, and in fact, it doesn't appear to have manual control in video mode..."
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the links Joel , much appreciated...if you don't mind, what are some of the main issues you've had with the move to the T2i? Is the focusing and lack of tiltable LCD screen really a big deal?

Thanks,
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Trustee

I had a t2i and loved it. I don't think I ever missed the lack of AF on video. That's part of the reason I want a dslr in my rig....to make my own focus decisions! It does require practice and patience though!
If it was a situation that called for AF, I'd use my videocamera!

I stepped up to the 7D for the HD output during recording and since I shoot a fair amount of action stills, the 8fps burst makes life a lot easier. There are a few other things that coerced me to ditch the t2i but certainly not picture quality.

Flip out screen would be cool in some situations but since I'm used to using my Z-finder, it wouldn't really make a difference to me.

Cant speak for the Nikon since I'm a Canon guy but I'm sure it does the job too. And if I had a dslr with autofocus during video, the only thing I think i would use it for would be when flying it on the Blackbird.
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Kren,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
Thanks for the links Joel , much appreciated...if you don't mind, what are some of the main issues you've had with the move to the T2i?
I was coming from HDV cameras, so same-day edits were a concern but the workflow is very comfortable. Archiving means more hard drives with mirrors for redundancy rather than putting tapes on a shelf. Synching so many clips with audio is simplified with Pluraleyes. The 12 minute shot limit is not a problem if you adjust how you shoot. Overheating wasn't an issue and I was out in the sun on some very hot, humid days. Audio quality isn't great so I use off-camera recorders for everything except the preparation. Overall the image quality trumped everything that presented a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
Is the focusing and lack of tiltable LCD screen really a big deal?
Not to me. Learning to manual focus well is a good thing. As for a flip-out screen - I have my eye on the viewfinder when its not on the steadicam with a wide angle lens. I found early on that using viewfinder on the LCD is mandatory for sharp focus with a DSLR. It can look sharp - but unless you look at the screen magnified it can be soft.
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Major Player

I read with interest the comments from the growing numbers who are using or switching to DSLRs and now the Panasonic AF101 for weddings. I have for many years use a variety of 'traditional' cameras and camcorders, mainly full size such as Panasonic DV200, Sony DSRs and currently JVC HM700. One thing I am curious about with fixed lens cameras that give beautiful artistic images is how you deal with spontaneity. For instance I may see a nice image of a bridesmaid singing during a hymn so I can zoom right in on her face but then move back to a wide shot of the bride and groom right in front of me. I do of course loose the zoom with a matched shot from another camera. As I understand it with a bright fast prime lens you are stuck with the fixed focal length and the zoom lenses for these cameras have a much smaller range and a less helpful iris aperture.
Do those of you who have changed from traditional camcorders change you shooting style to adapt to the limitations?
Do any of you shoot solo using only DSLRs?
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi George,

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
Do any of you shoot solo using only DSLRs?
I do.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques