DVD Case/Menu Design - What do you use for pictures? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD Case/Menu Design - What do you use for pictures?

I am curious to find out what others in the forum use for pictures when designing the menu screen (assuming you don't use video as the background) and the DVD case. I typically ask the photographer if they are willing to loan out a few JPEGs, in exchange for proper credit being noted on the case/menu. In some instances, for instance when photographers are too snowed in to send anything, I'll export screen caps. I guess another question would be, do you put your logo or contact info on the case? I put my contact info in small text on the bottom portion of the back of the DVD case and do my best to keep in discreet.
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Michael, we use screengrab of a good picture of the couple, preferably an angle the photographer can't match, taken from the HD master. On the back we have the logotype, contact details and copyright statement. The overall effect is clean and simple.

Our policy is to minimise time and effort on the disk face and the box; stylish and professional but not expensive. We deliver in good quality library cases and disks, but beyond that all our creative efforts are in the programmes.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I used freeze frames from the timeline. I capture it bring itinto photoshop work it a bit and then use it when I design my case and face. Since I'm never looking to make it a 4X6 or 5X7 it retains the quality pretty well.
I've worked with a few photogs over the years that have asked if I want some images for cases and face but I really don't know what I need until I put it together so I haven't taken them up on the offer.
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Though I mostly shoot in HD these days, I have such an enormous backlog of SD content (home video from my childhood) that most of my discs are based in SD. I've found that deinterlaced SD frames look awful, but that frame holds rendered as video (which I use Premiere for) look quite acceptable as menu backgrounds. For HD, a frame-grab is much more effective and easier to do, obviously!

One of the things I've observed in years of making DVDs of old home movies for my friends and family is that, what people see on the menus, they expect to see in the video! "Oh gosh! I'd forgotten about that--where is that in the video? What chapter?" is a *very* common reaction. Thus, for my purposes, I would be reluctant to use shots from something other than the main video program unless I was also prepared to include a slideshow from a still camera as well (which I have done before). Otherwise, the experience of the disc just isn't self-contained.

I print my contact information in fine print on both the disc and the back of the box, so that I am easily reached to provide a replacement (disc or box) should anything be lost or damaged. A complimentary service in my case--I do this all for free! :)

Best,
Aaron
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Just before I do the photoshoot I actually take the couple and do around half a dozen stills for the DVD cover and disk cover. I used to use frame grabs which are also good but I found more consistent results by actually playing photographer for a few minutes. Photogs are totally unreliable!!! I have had them faithfully promise to email me a bunch of shots they have taken at the wedding and not once have they ever bothered to do it!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Major Player

We usually do photo & videography for our clients so I can choose from the photos my wife has taken. In the rare instance that we don't do photography, I email the photog and cc the Bride asking for some photos to use for her DVD. Works like a charm
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Just before I do the photoshoot I actually take the couple and do around half a dozen stills for the DVD cover and disk cover. I used to use frame grabs which are also good but I found more consistent results by actually playing photographer for a few minutes. Photogs are totally unreliable!!! I have had them faithfully promise to email me a bunch of shots they have taken at the wedding and not once have they ever bothered to do it!!

Chris
I do the same where possible. Photogs never send me anything they promise.
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I usually use screengrabs as well. Sometimes the results aren't perfect, but I've enough kit to be carrying without carrying a stills camera and setting up shots as well. I tried to take my own shots once or twice, but the photographers don't like it, and I've run the risk of losing a video shot, so screengrabs all the way for me.
Mary Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Since I've been using the 5D, I can pull beautiful full coverage stills for the DVD case that match or exceed anything I'd get from the photog and I can decide what I choose, not them. Not so good from the A1 but great from the 5D.
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques