Worried about my branding... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 20th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #16
Tourist

Danny - I think I had an idea in my head of what I wanted the site to look like and it has kinda gone a bit off-track. I had actually forgotten where I was going with it until you said - so thanks.

Unfortunatly the only friend of mine that is getting married soon is my best friend and I am the best man. Don't think that would work out somehow!

Jim - that's a good idea, thanks. I was going along the competition route, but I was thinking of doing a prize draw (possibly after checking them out on Facebook; I would prefer aesthetically pleasing people in my first promo - is that wrong??? I suppose beggars can't be choosers!)

Danny - I understand that it is perhaps not beneficial to tell clients about techy stuff. Since I have a lack of existing work (and that is the only reason I have included this info), I wanted potential customers to know that I am not a 19 year old running around with 3 Flip cameras taped to his head. But I suppose I can tell people what I use etc when I meet them, if they are interested.

Chip - Ha ha, I would love to hear from the unicycle guy. Bet he gets some really steady shots. I would disagree that that is his 'brand' though. Maybe the definition of a 'brand' is different for different people?
Andrew Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #17
Major Player

Andrew, it the many years I've been shooting weddings I think I've only had a couple of occasions when any client has asked about the equipment I use.
As for branding, I guess that it depends on how big a market you'll be jumping in to. For the first few years of my business I traded and promoted myself by my name with video tacked on the end. I made a feature of the fact that I was solely responsible for the quality of my work.
I only "branded" the business when I started having to employ others to cover work; I felt I shouldn't still promote as such a personal service.

I now have completely separate and non-associated "brands" for wedding/family work and business/commercial work.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:58 AM   #18
Major Player

Best man at a wedding, PERFECT! our first ever vid was from a wedding I was an usher at. It gave us enough to produce a highlights and some bookings. Looking back now I have no idea how, it was awful but served purpose.

We started out by offering more then the 'pros' and charging less. Having full time jobs made it easy to do that. We couldn't have done this without our jobs to fund gear, training and making mistakes to learn.

We started just 4 years ago and the turning point for is was attending re:frame in Austin.
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM   #19
Tourist

Worried about my branding

Thanks for the kind comments. I agree with Danny!! Pictures of camera/equipment/gear is not good and often a turn off for many. It's usually guys trying to impress other videographers!!

One of the the ways I first got weddings was offering free wedding videos in the forums. I was very honest about my experience and was inundated with opportunities. I picked what I thought were the best ones and then went from there.

With regards to your branding - this will develop all the time. It progresses as your wedding videos progress. As you get better your business will evolve and as you get work you will be able to invest back into creating your branding.

In the meantime get plenty of experience and collect some great footage and like Danny says - "show your work off". I love to show recent weddings as it's more honest as so many videographers show 1 or 2 weddings from the last however many years. Bride and Grooms love to see recent weddings and evidence that you are doing lots!!

Again all the best and it would be great to hear how you've got on over the next few years. I will log your site and get in touch sometime.

Beautiful Life Wedding Video and Wedding Photography
Wedding Video Blog
Shaun Foulds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques