Lighting Directional Softboxes or Umbrellas ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 22nd, 2011, 01:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Lighting Directional Softboxes or Umbrellas ???

Greetings again oh wise ones !!!!

Here is where I am at right this moment. I have ZERO added lighting available to me and am looking to get SOMETHING to at least "get me in the game" for now. I am not looking at this for ceremonies, but possibly speeches or more likely staged interviews, or love story discussions on the couch. So for most of what I see my need is at this time, it would be used in "controlled situations".

I have seen what I assume are the two basic styles of lighting, a "directional" style softbox w/diffuser and then the use of fixtures and unidireectional "umbrellas".

A dear friend had her photog doing a photo shoot of the guests at her reception, and his choice in lighting he brought in were his strobes into his umbrellas.

So if you were me, what would style of lighting would you pick to at least have something that will produce decent results across a more broad spectrum of potential "controlled" uses ???
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Chip

My resident expert, Vortex media's great DVD "How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews" [ Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training ], which sounds like it addresses a variation on what you've outlined, recommends a key light with a soft box and egg crate and a dimmer so that your light can be aimmed precisely where you want it without spilling all over the show...and have its intensity varied. It also of course recommends a fill light/reflector and backlight but you may not use them...or may. I have followed their recommendations in my 'studio' and am very satisfied.

I would imagine a light into an umbrella would spill light everywhere...

I use a modified 500w work light which takes a Photoflex softbox and egg crate.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Chip

I only use a softbox during the speeches..just a single one sorta 4' x 3' with 4 x 50W CFL lamps inside and they are rated at 5500K so the cameras white balance very nicely too!!

That seems to give a nice soft even light over probably the right area you are looking at

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys for the input, hoping some others get to chime in too. When I went out and searched Ebay for lighting, the combinations became mind boggling. 1,2,3 and 4 stand kits, heck one even had a boom for overhead !!! The vast majority were of either the softbox or umbrella. I am sure there are uses for both, otherwise they wouldn't be offered.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:09 AM   #5
Trustee

Chip, the DVD I mentioned will cut right through all the boggling of mind and make it as clear as a bell - guaranteed! Don't buy anything until you have seen it...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #6
Trustee

Cool lights might be your answer.
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Chip, the DVD I mentioned will cut right through all the boggling of mind and make it as clear as a bell - guaranteed! Don't buy anything until you have seen it...
Ordered it this morning from my buddy, hatch@fullcompass.com . Full Compass had one of the best prices going, and for that price along with your recommendation, it was a no brainer.

Vortex Media ILDVD How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews DVD | Full Compass
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
Ordered it this morning from my buddy, hatch@fullcompass.com . Full Compass had one of the best prices going, and for that price along with your recommendation, it was a no brainer.

Vortex Media ILDVD How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews DVD | Full Compass
Arrived this morning.... looks like school starts right after lunch !!!! :-)
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Seeing the light

Controlling light makes such a difference - after all, that's what we're recording - it's just that event videography is too often run & gun. Good luck.
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Major Player

I watched it the first time through, and Renton you were right, it does give a good basic understanding. As they added the various components to lighting the situation, you could see the benefits as each was added. What I found real surprising is how much gear goes in to something like this !!! This is perfect for controlled situations, now wondering how I can adapt the information from here to a less controlled / more live situation too ???

All in all, well worth the money spent, thanks Renton for the heads up !!!
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #11
Trustee

I'm glad you weren't disappointed and hope you find it as helpful as I have. Once you know the principles I guess it just takes some ingenuity to apply them to your live situation.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques