Fun Reception Montage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Still Motion

Fun Reception Montage

I posted the highlights from this wedding a couple weeks back and it seemed to get a pretty good response so I thought I would throw up the reception montage as well. I'm very happy with this clip as it is cut to a different kind of music (at the request of the couple) and I really enjoy the part with the clapping synced to the music.

The couple has already seen the clip and were very impressed. As it is already finished, I would be interested in getting any ideas for next time and any parts that you particularly enjoyed.

It is a streaming quicktime file.

http://www.still-motion.ca/videodemo5.html

Thanks for taking the time.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #2

Nice. How's that lens working for you, Patrick?
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #3
Still Motion

The lens treated me very well Charles, and thanks again for helping out. We had to move to a Sony setup recently due tp the low light superiority and the cams are slightly cheaper, or at least they were when we switched.
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Very Cool! That looked like a fun piece to edit together. What type of NLE are you using to get that smooth slo-mo or are you using after effects or something like that? I use premeire Pro and AE and my slow motion just doesn't come out that solid.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #5
Still Motion

Everything was done in FCP5. Apple all the way.

I'm very happy with the speed ocntrol and slow motion of the current version.
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

hey pat, as i download your video, ill jsut ask a couple of questions before i see it..
Im not an apple fan (from way back im afraid) however i am looking at FCP5 HD and Motion simply due to the fact that some of my partners are using macs and they have issues with Avid (I predominalty use Vegas for weddings however)
Just wondering if FCP has a supersampling, or oversample??
Also does FCP import standard DV files, or must they all conform to 10bit QT??
im a lil baffled with all this, as i have loads of 10bit QT video files with transparencies that the windows machins wont open correctly, im thinking of jsut getting a mac simplt for some specific tasks... (cack.. sorry all u mac lovers)

looking at ur work now, i have to admit, the slow mo is absolutely stunning, AND sharp..
The whole piece weas very well put together and dont u just love it when oldies go off?? LOL
Awesome stuff mate, and im sure the couple would have njoid it immensley!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That was definitely fun. I loved the syncapation with the music. Very well timed. Definitely some interesting dancing. Did it throw you off at first when the B and G through that tune at you?

I have a B and G now who love '80's music and want me to use alot of '80's stuff in their video. I need to have a revelation or I won't do it justice. That was definitely the decade with the worse music in my taste.

By the way very cool stuff. The reverse shot with the guys shoe was nice.

Keep it up.
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Trustee

What did you use for lighting? It doesn't look like an on-camera light. Was it a softbox or something off to the side? How did the guests react to having a brightly lit dancefloor? Did you only turn it on for a few shots at a time, or was it on constantly?

I ask because I was a wedding DJ for 12 years and would not have reacted favorably to a videographer lighting up my dancefloor for the whole evening. I'm trying to get a handle on effective, yet unobtrusive lighting.

BTW, nice video. I got lots of great ideas from it, I just hope I remember them when it's time to shoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Minor
That was definitely the decade with the worse music in my taste.
Obviously, you have no taste! ;)
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

well he did mention that they had moved to Sony because of it's low light capabilities. I know I have never used a light during a reception with my PD150 so I bet that no light was even used for this.
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #10
Major Player

Excellent!

Hi Patrick,

That was most excellent! Wonderful job and I thoroughly enjoyed watching this montage.

Did I see something like a crane shot? Do you use a stabilizer? Very smooth.

Thank you for posting your clip.

Best wishes
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #11
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis
What did you use for lighting? It doesn't look like an on-camera light. Was it a softbox or something off to the side? How did the guests react to having a brightly lit dancefloor? Did you only turn it on for a few shots at a time, or was it on constantly?

I use a dual stage softbox with 250W bulb about 8 feet from the dance floor. I always discuss those options with the couple prior to the wedding and they were very receptive of having the light there. I had no complaints nor did I see anybody complaining to each other. It was left one for several hours straight. When we left at 12 and turned it off, the dance floor waent almost pitch black and they wanted the light back on. Overall, I was very happy with the light, the reactions to it, and the way the video looked because of it.
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #12
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow
Hi Patrick,

That was most excellent! Wonderful job and I thoroughly enjoyed watching this montage.

Did I see something like a crane shot? Do you use a stabilizer? Very smooth.

Thank you for posting your clip.

Best wishes
Bradley
Thanks for the comments Bradley, I appreciate the crane comment especially. Everything was shot with a homemade handheld stabilizer similiar to a glidecam but built on a bogen monopod. I'm still getting used to the way it performs, but it is a great improvement over a monopod, handheld or a tripod, for my videos.
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
I use a dual stage softbox with 250W bulb about 8 feet from the dance floor. I always discuss those options with the couple prior to the wedding and they were very receptive of having the light there. I had no complaints nor did I see anybody complaining to each other. It was left one for several hours straight. When we left at 12 and turned it off, the dance floor waent almost pitch black and they wanted the light back on. Overall, I was very happy with the light, the reactions to it, and the way the video looked because of it.
Its funny, so many people say "we dont want lights.. " then i say.. ok how bout i run a 35w on cam light off a stand then? It wont throw all that much, but itll be enough for me to get some footage... "
theyre ok with that... so i turn it on.. then people flock towards the light... turn the light off, and the dancfloor empties...
turn it back on.. and they al l flock back to the light...
Even a small amount of light is great to work with...even if its jsut enough to play with some shadows and afew highlights..
I remember i did one wedding where i ran an 800w Lowel Tota across the dancefloor.. the unit itself was about 5 metres away from the floor, but the throw was incredible... sounds like overkill, but the brella diffused the throw, so the whole floor had an even soft white glow across it.. couples with the smoke machine and the disco lights, its looked pretty fuggin awesome

theres lots u can do with light.. i say dont be afraid to use it.. :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques