Wedding Party Interview... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 11th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Party Interview...

Okay... this just got dropped on me at rehersal...

The bride is asking for the "wedding party" interviews, questions, etc...

Not to sound like an idiot... BUT what questions....

I have my shot list ready to go.... but looking for some guidance with the interview format... questions, etc...

Thanks...Dave
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I used to do that and I hate it. TO me it's a waste of time, effort and time on the DVD BUT since they want it here's some things you can ask.
1. how did you meet
2. how long have you known him/her/them
3. what did he/she say to you after meeting for the first time (Bride meets groom-Groom meets Bride)
4. Did you feel that they would get married
5. any advice for them (keep it clean)

There are a lot more questions you could ask but the one thing I tried to do was keep it short sweet and to the point. The way I found to do that was to give each couple a question before the wedding and ask them the one question for the video. Sometimes this dragged on so long I reduced it to interviewing the parents and grandparents only for a short "advice" interview.

In any case sometimes you can get some really funny stuff and in some cases it can be as painful as a root canal without novacaine.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #3
New Boot

- what's your favorite memory of the two of them together
- what's unique about them
- how did they get engaged

if there's anything unique about the wedding, you could also ask about that - like, to use as narration over some small part of the video.

"they spent forever deciding on the favors..." (pan over a table with favors on display)
Erin Anguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I keep my interviews to guests at the pre-dinner drinks only..just a short congratulations or some marriage advice...they range from anything from 5 seconds to 30 seconds and my brides absolutely love them!!!

Philip Howells does more elaborate family interviews with his packages so I'm sure he can give you wiser advice on what questions he asks the person.

I'm normally doing nothing during pre-dinner drinks so the short comments help pass the time and also keep me busy!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #5
Trustee

Dave, Chris has kindly referred to our "signature" interviews and I'd be happy to help; unfortunately today my schedule is silly and I don't have time to write all the advice and learning I'd be pleased to pass on. I also guess your need is immediate so may I for now confine my post to these few pointers with many apologies for the paucity?

1 Relax the interviewee, flatter them, make it a conversation. Ideally have the camera operated by someone else. There are two jobs to be done here.

2 Ask open questions. If your question can be answered with a yes or no re-phrase it. A useful tricks is to start "Tell me how..."

3 Pre-empt your question.ie structure the question so that you convey the core part before finishing the complete sentence. This needs care because a sharp-witted and natural performer may jump in and stand on your question which is bad for editing and needs a repeat. On the other hand it helps the less comfortable performer because the delay gives them time to think about their answer. Never harry them, let them think about their answer.

4 Decide on three or four questions and ask the same to each interviewee. That way you can edit out your question and, if you got point 2 right the question you asked will be clear. Because you ask the same questions of each person, only one response has to reveal the question - the others follow on.

5 Use "Active Listening" - nod like a mad dog, smile, do everything you can silently and off camera to encourage the interviewee, to convey silently that they're doing well, saying the right thing and so on.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

PS If you have the patience and time, please feel free to comb my previous posts for as Chris suggests I have written at length on the subject before. I'd like to think it's modesty that I can't find it; in reality it's disorganisation.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks everyone... Today is the day...
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #7
New Boot

good luck!
Erin Anguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I keep my interviews to guests at the pre-dinner drinks only..just a short congratulations or some marriage advice...they range from anything from 5 seconds to 30 seconds and my brides absolutely love them!!!
Sorry to steal topic on this thread :P

Just wondering what mic do you use during interviews as usually there is loud music or chattering on background? I use my shotgun mic.. picked up audio well especially the males.. but sometimes there are those (usually the ladies) who speak very softly.. I used a lav mic once and get the guest to hold them, is this recommended?
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi John

I tried the whole range and the only thing that punches thru background noise is a Rode VideoMic!! However that's a little big for your DSLR so maybe try to get the new compact one???

Lav's just don't work unless you physically clip them onto the person's clothing...otherwise they will either hold them down near their waist OR they will try to eat them!!! There is never a happy medium!!!

I would stick with a Rode .. for me nothing else worked!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Chris, will stick to the RODE and probably use wide angle lens so I can stand closer to them if needed. Luckily nobody have eaten my lav mic yet haha..
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques