What do YOU use more? Steadicam/glidecam, or slider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 20th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do YOU use more? Steadicam/glidecam, or slider

I've been reading a few post lately about different slider shots, and it got me thinking, Which one is used more at your weddings? Sliders or steadicam's? The more I look at new wedding shorts coming out, it seems as if people are using sliders more than steadicams.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Major Player

The reason you're seeing more glider shots is because people got fed up with seeing steadicam shots, they'll soon be sick of the glides. It's all style and 'of the moment'. After a while all overused shots become clichéd and people tier of them. I see that sometimes they are used as the shot rather than what's in the shot.

You'll probably guess that I use neither, but hey, these is just my thoughts.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Swan View Post
... The more I look at new wedding shorts coming out, it seems as if people are using sliders more than steadicams.
You may be seeing more slider shots than steadicam shots because it takes a lot more skill to use a steadicam/glidecam compared to a slider. I use both but the key, as with everything else, is not to overuse them.
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #4
New Boot

I use my slider a lot more then steadi - like it was mentioned above it just takes so long to set up. Unless I have a second shooter - then I usually just trip around all day with it. I find with the slider - if I use it at all I have to use it all the time - to create some sort of continuity in the production.
Dave Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Sliders are much cheaper than gliders so I guess more people have sliders. Gliders are nice but many times the venue is too small to use them effectively.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Two different tools.
I don't think you can walk with a slider for a steady shot.
slider will do much better job then steady cam for slide shot.
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Josh

During the bride and grooms photoshoot I do a video shoot on stedicam. It does get a little stale doing the usual 360 running around the couple but then again remember that each wedding is a new couple so everything is new to them.

I think rather use whatever suits the photoshoot venue...stedicam, slider or just handheld. As long as you don't do what I saw on the weekend!! A pair of videographers with Canon XH-A1 cameras carefully mounted on tripods to the left and right of the photographer and yes, they were simply filming the photographer taking stills of the couple....wow!! how creative!!!

I don't think that it really matters how you achieve your camera movement. I have seen (and achieved) some great romantic footage simply by handholding at a low angle and walking...remember the couple are not looking for technical perfection...the bride is normally more interested in her and the bridesmaid's dresses that whether the cameraman had any bumps in the shot!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm thrilled to be seeing lots of glides and slides in wedding videos. It separates the pros from uncle bob's palmcorder video that definitely isn't gonna have a glide or a slide in it.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Trustee

I think you need both but shot a wedding yesterday almost exclusively with DSLR. I've been leaning more and more to DSLR only weddings. I only shoot a few weddings a year but starting this year am looking to shoot more. My next purchase for sure will be a slider. I had some shots yesterday using the 5d with a 70-200 f2.8 that screamed for a slide. Instead they were static on sticks, I have a dolly and a crane, but no way was I setting up either of those in this venue. I used a glidecam, which was ok, but I think if I had it to do again, I'd go slider before glidecam - for weddings that is. You can really only go wide with a glide.
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Major Player

Re: What do YOU use more? Steadicam/glidecam, or slider

I agree with most.. slider is my most useful creative shot tool. It makes a simple footage looks stunning without the complexity a glidecam has in setting up and operating.

I recently did a bridal waltz shot using a wide angle on a slider. I just did a constant sliding motion left to right and it made whole lot difference to the clip compared to a static camera on tripod.

Although I recommend investing on a good slider (IGUS is probably cheapest best IMO). A crappy/wobbly slider is as annoying as writing with your feet.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #11
Major Player

IMO, the steadicam/glider is most effective when the subject is moving and you can move along with them. I don't like it for "circling" a motionless bride and groom.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:39 AM   #12
Major Player

I use the slider just as much as I use my Steadicam Pilot.

I find that when I want to create alot of movement and energy QUICKLY, I will use the steadicam. If I have more time to setup shots and build sequences, I will use the atlas 10.

However, it all depends on what the venue and location calls for. I would say that a simple push in or slider reveal can have just as much visual impact as a steadicam drop shot to spin around if shot with "your brain turned on" (as MYW would put it).

The Atlas 10, or any slider for that matter, is much more affordable than the steadicam which is why you'll see it more and on top of that, it's faster to deploy. Steadicam may have been overused in the past, but it's not going to be leaving anytime soon as visually, it's VERY appealing to couples.

Cheers
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I've been using my steadicam merlin mostly. It folds up easily, I can shoot handheld for prep stuff, and drop the lower spar and I can get some nice steadicam shots with it in a matter of seconds. But now that I have the AF100 with no IS, I'm rethinking things a bit, as I'll probably want to shoot most of my prep stuff on a mono pod now. I did like how mobile the merlin is though, as I took it everywhere for prep, cocktail hr, and formals. I'm thinking if I go the slider route, there will by a lot more gear to lug around from location to location.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques