Lens use for glidecam/merlin? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens use for glidecam/merlin?

what lens do you prefer to use for your glidecam or merlin and why? at what point during the wedding event you find yourself picking up to use the stabalizer? thanks
Erwin Layaoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lens use for glidecam/merlin?

Mostly wide lens' but sometimes the 17-55mm IS Canon. When I get my L Glass I will use the 24 1.2

I use it for prep shots, precession, photo shot, cocktail hour and dancing. We are now going to use it during the ceremony too.

Kelly
San Francisco
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Major Player

My usual setup is 5DM2 + 28mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.2. Otherwise, 7D + 11-16mm f2.8 for wider shot. I use it for bride walking out of car, walking on the isle, reception entrance, bridal waltz, dances, and for location shoots.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Major Player

I do not have a 2nd shooter currently, and am considering a steadicam. The above responses are useful. I'll probably try my Sigma 20mm 1.8 first. I'll obviously want to practice a ton before using it live (especially since I am a one man crew), and I'll still have a B-cam when using a steadicam for those things mentioned below (bridal party entrance, dances, etc.). I'm trying to think of other areas where a steadicam (without vest/arm...I'm using a 7D) would be useful. Seems like you wouldn't get much use out of one in a smaller room where bridal prep takes place. Another question for those without a 2nd shooter: how often do you use a steadicam during an event? Even though I have a T3i and T2i as B and C cams, and I could have say, a merlin balanced to a T3i with Sigma 20mm, it still seems like there's some down time when getting set up for a steadicam shot, and I may not often be able to afford that. I know part of this problem comes from not having a 2nd shooter, and I am working towards that so I will have more time for slider/steadicam work, but this is for in the mean time.
Old October 18th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

we use 24mm f2.8. its a very light setup with the 5dmk2 although sometimes you need more stops of light for dark receptions. but we use lights on +9feet stands which have been very helpful and the guests doesnt seem to be bother too much about it.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I use a 24 1.4 with Merlin, 5DMII and a Manfrotto quick release plate. It's such a well balanced combo that I end up using it all day from bride prep to reception.

Art
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Trustee

Canon 28mm 1.8 or Tokina 11-16 on my 7D. Want the rig as light as possible.
My buddy uses the Canon 16-35 on his 5D and it's awesome. He's using a Pilot so the weight isn't an issue at all.
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Tokina 11-16 on a t2i with a 2000hd. Another great lens is the 14L, but its usually out of peoples budgets. Highly recommend focusing on getting a good documentary shooter, so that you can start concentrating on the creative shots.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

i use it with the canon 24-70mm L lens at 24mm only.
My arms are like rocks at the end of the day. I only use it as I can't afford the 24mm 1.4 L yet.
I use it for bride getting ready, ceremony bride entrance, some of the couples photoshoot, grand entrance at reception and first dance.

Beats going to the gym.
David Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Major Player

I shoot 7D and I use the 11-16, and a 50mm and sometimes I use a 24mm. Most of the time though its 11-16 or 50.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #11
Inner Circle

We use the Canon 17-55 2.8. Beautiful lens and pretty inexpensive.
Old October 26th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #12
New Boot

We were using the Tokina 11-16 on our steadicam but felt that the wide field of view was too distracting. We tend for a more intimate feel favoring more standard fields of view and the Tokina clashes with that. We've since moved to using a Sigma 30mm 1.4 on our steadicam with great success. You just have to be much more careful about depth of field as it narrows considerably.

We're considering the Sigma 20mm 1.8 both for steadicam work and low-light shooting. It might be a nice compromise between the extreme wide angle vs standard fields of view.
Stephen Daugherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques