Spinning platform for rings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Spinning platform for rings

I have seen some good close-up shots (usually with a DSLR and macro lens) of the wedding rings slowly revolving on some type of platform \ support.

I think this movements adds a nice change from the linear movement of a shot from a slide. My question is: what are these spinning things called and where can i get one?
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Spinning platform for rings

No idea what they're called but as a low budget alternative I've used this:

IKEA | Serving pieces | Serving dishes & bowls | SNUDDA | Lazy Susan

With some black velvet and a tiny rope to pull and to make it rotate you have an excellent rotating disc for smaller objects.

regards,
Erwin
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If you're talking about what I think your talking about, they are called "turntables" just like the "old fashioned" record players, which I still have one. Doesn't work, why keep it. Oh well, I digress.
Display turntables can be purchased as shops that either manufacture them or stores that have them and aren't using them. Sometimes you buy them from the store as a used display. You can also make one, I did that a few years ago. Friendly local home improvement store for the compostie board, IIRC the ball bearing rings came from a tool supply house, a little band saw, a little orbital sander, some nice material to cover, bake at 500 for 30 minutes...wait wrong reciepe, sorry. Anyway you get the point. Keyword, Turntable.
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Dan,

Throw a cover (I just use a table napkin at the reception) on your tripod head and use the handle to turn it.
Like this at :30:

~ LAURA AND JOHN | SAME-DAY EDIT ~

Or I suppose you could attach a tripod plate to a platform if you need a bigger space, but you only need a few square inches for rings.

I priced out a lot or bulky, expensive options last year to do this but the last thing I need is to carry more stuff. This has worked perfectly and the only thing I needed was a macro tube set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
I have seen some good close-up shots (usually with a DSLR and macro lens) of the wedding rings slowly revolving on some type of platform \ support.

I think this movements adds a nice change from the linear movement of a shot from a slide. My question is: what are these spinning things called and where can i get one?
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Joel,
never thought about using the tripod head. Great idea.
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Yep, Joel ... I'm going to steal that move! Great idea and thanks for sharing it.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Could you explain what a macro tube set is? Are they the same as an extension tube? I shoot with a T2i using a 50mm 1.4l, but I doubt I could get that close...
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Michael,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
Could you explain what a macro tube set is? Are they the same as an extension tube? I shoot with a T2i using a 50mm 1.4l, but I doubt I could get that close...
Its just an inexpensive extension tube set. One thing to remember - if you get one that doesn't electronically connect the lens to the body you'll want to use a manual focus lens with an aperture ring. Its always best to shoot cu's stopped down as far as possible for a deeper dof, and with a Canon EF lens the aperture will stay wide open on a tube with no contacts. I have a Pentax 50/1.2 that works well with the shortest of the three extension tubes between the mounts - it gives me a shot that fills the frame with a ring and you're a comfortable 8-10" away with the camera.

3 Ring Macro Extension Tube for Canon EOS EF DSLR SLR - eBay (item 370461703851 end time Mar-29-11 20:37:45 PDT)

AF Macro Extension Tube Canon EOS 450D 550D 5D 7D L9A - eBay (item 260747413630 end time Mar-11-11 19:00:52 PST)
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the info and ideas chaps!

Joel, I have just bought a set of the extension tubes (the no contacts ones) for my 60D. If I use my Canon EF 50mm 1.8 with them, are you saying the aperture will be locked at 1.8? Thanks
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
Thanks for the info and ideas chaps!

Joel, I have just bought a set of the extension tubes (the no contacts ones) for my 60D. If I use my Canon EF 50mm 1.8 with them, are you saying the aperture will be locked at 1.8? Thanks
Yep. They default to wide open when off the camera. Use the following advanced-search ebay link to pick up an inexpensive manual focus 50mm f1.4 Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Contax or Yashica lens:

50 1.4 items - Get great deals on Lenses, sony 50 1.4 items on eBay.com!

Just make sure the lens surfaces are clean and they don't mention fungus, haze, oil on the aperture blades etc. When you find one order the appropriate adapter too - search for "Nikon EOS adapter", for example. To get it within a few days rather than weeks select "US only". Buying from the east may be cheaper but shipping can take weeks, especially now with the earthquake. (Hope all our readers and their families and friends from that area are ok.)
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks very much for that info Joel, i dont use my 50mm 1.8 much at the moment so using it with the rings should be fine if i switch the focus to manual on the lens. I was planning to do most of the macro stuff at 1.8 so that's fine!
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques