Aperture vs. ISO at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 12th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Aperture vs. ISO

I've just made the switch from Canon HV40s to T2i DSLRs. I will primarily be shooting with a 1.4L 50mm lens, and wanted to see if I understood the relationship between aperture and ISO. In low lighting situations (receptions, etc.), is it preferable to keep the aperture open and the ISO as low as possible? It seems like if you kept a smaller aperture and higher ISO than things would be grainier.
Old March 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Aperture vs. ISO

Hey Mike...

To answer your question quickly... yes more ISO equals more noise. But don't let that be the reason that you never bump it up. When you need to you need to. Keeping your aperture wide open has its draw backs.
for one, the line between in focus and out of focus will be very thin. I rather have a subject in focus with a little noise vs out of focus without.
I use the T2i and usually shoot around 800, but I'll go to 1600 when I need too. I can always use neat video in post to remove the noise (but this has some drawbacks as well).
Best of luck and hope that this helped answer your question.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Aperture vs. ISO

Michael,
This is one of the "gotchas" with DSLRs that you have to get through; starting to understand ISO vs Aperture vs Shutter Speed. I would feel trapped and panicked with just a 50 1.4 Your DOF at 1.4 is potentially going to be VERY thin, so you will need to bump the ISO. I use the 5D which allows me to use the mechanical ISOs and I can shoot a very clean 2500 which allows for use of f/4 and above in very dim situations. I suggest you shoot everything that moves indoors and out(which can sometimes be more challenging) until you need the camera for paid work. Good luck. Also, I will drop the shutter speed to 1/30 as the lights go down...

Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques