Combine all video files to one for editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 21st, 2011, 03:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Combine all video files to one for editing

to make my editing easier, i want to combine all my videos from the wedding to a single file and just edit/cut from it into my timeline in premiere. what's the easiest and best way to do this? thanks
Erwin Layaoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Combine all video files to one for editing

Hi have before now put my saved hard core clients copied bluray discs in the dvd drive imported to my timeline in adobe prem elements 8 and worked fine, quality stayed the same!!! if you have no disc back up just transfer all your footage from your hard drive by importing from the place where it is stored on your drive. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin Layaoen View Post
to make my editing easier, i want to combine all my videos from the wedding to a single file and just edit/cut from it into my timeline in premiere. what's the easiest and best way to do this? thanks
It depends on what files you have. If it's DV, VirtualDub will do it, but it's a manual process, file by file.

I would suggest to leave them as they are, once you get used to editing, you will see that it's actually much easier to work with many small files compared to one big file.
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Erwin - I'm like you, prefer to work with 1 big file.

I find my system likes files around 1hr long so I just import the folder of small CF Card files when I get home, batch add them to the timeline, divide them into say 4-5 timeline segments (ie: prep, ceremonycam1, ceremonycam2, reception, dancing) then EXPORT MOVIE on each segment out to larger files. (make sure not to recompress so you retain original quality) Then, delete the smaller files from the project - Premiere then opens much quicker without having to update the timeline with hundreds of little files.

I prefer this workflow - I think it goes back to the days of capturing whole tapes to work with. "Kids these days" are more used to working with smaller files. It's just what you are used to.
John Knight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques