Why so many new wedding videographers? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 17th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #31
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Briones
and newbies? weren't we all? didn't we all have "stupid" questions to ask at one point? aren't you glad that there's this cool place where people interested in getting into dv filmmaking can get the right answers instead of asking the "gadget guru" at best buy?

Very good point. It's funny you mention Best Buy because just 4 years ago when I bought my first DV camera (Sony TRV-17) there were a few guys at Best Buy that were attending college for video production. I would frequently visit and hit them with all sort of questions, "what's real-time, how do you output to VHS (this is before the onset of DVDs mind you)". They were my "DVinfo".

Partially due to my unbridled passion and another part due to my tendancy to be obsessive over my "hobbies" I soaked up as much info as I could. I ate, sleep, and ...(well, you know) Videography.

Ironcily enough I took some recent work into Best Buy recently (one of the two video guys still works there). He was floored at the work I was doing now. Funny that he's the very one that gave the the info to get me started, surrogated soon after by DVinfo. Passion and diligence can get you pretty far. Especially when you have forum communities like this one. I welcome all newbies to learn about this great craft. If it wasn't for people willing to share and teach I wouldn't be as far along as I am now in my continued learning experience in videography. I try to give as much BACK whenever possible.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #32
Trustee

I dont do weddings, sans the couple super high-dollar ones maybe once a year but I always say the more milk, the faster the cream rises to the top. No offense to anyone here but wedding guys can be very competetive and downright EVIL. My friend decided to offer weddings as a service in her video business and got HATEMAIL when she advertised a cheaper price than most...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #33
Inner Circle

One other thing that we might be missing here, is that because of all those entering the field, it brings the prices of equipment down for all, and raises the quality of the equipment.

Without all the new people entering, we would not have all of the neat toys we have now and will have soon. In order for the companies to advance their products and spend the money on research and development, they have to make sales. That neat new HD camera would cost $20,000 instead of $5,000, if it were made at all.

Welcome all.

Mike
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
Hey, I don't do weddings. The business is not attractive to me for a lot of reasons having nothing to do with this post. It just seems to me that there are an awful lot of newbies coming to the various forums saying "I am buying video equipment to be a wedding videographer. What should I get?". The normal way into this business IMHO would be home movies -> serious hobbyist -> do a wedding for a friend -> do a second one -> hang out your shingle. By the time most people do their first wedding, they would normally have 20-50 hours of shooting experience and some editing. I bet a lot of them today don't even own a one-chipper. I was just wondering if this seeming (to me) influx of posts of complete newbies is normal, or a sign of the last year or two. And if it's a new phenomenon, why?
I follow you now.. Yeah I would have to say in High School I never said to my self "I want to be a wedding videographer"..:) Actually due to my fulltime professional Director/Editor it was an easy fit.. Much less stressful doing weddings than doing the usual training videos and Documentaries.. IMHO..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Socrates (470 - 399 BC)
That is a great quote, Mike. It was such a shock to get to the end and realize how long ago it was said...
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine
That is a great quote, Mike. It was such a shock to get to the end and realize how long ago it was said...
I know Mike and he was probably there to write it down when it was first said.<G>
Bruce Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Linden
I know Mike and he was probably there to write it down when it was first said.<G>

OOOH, you are cruel! Not saying your wrong, just cruel.

Mike
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine

Joe,

Isn't it great! Heard it nearly 30 years ago or so, while watching the Tonight Show of all things. Johnny was talking to someone about kids, and their behavior, and brought it up.

Just for Bruce’s information, the quote was not written down by Socrates, but was repeated by Plato and attributed to Socrates. I did know Plato.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques