wedding sound - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:48 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: wedding sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Greene View Post
"why should one struggle to make someones wedding day something that it wasn't".
If you ask me (and maybe you won't) that's the whole point of wedding editing. We turn ordinary people into film stars for the day, romanticising with music and effects, showing them glowing in a light they've not seen before.

And as with all one-man-bands we make decisions and compromises all day long. As Michael says, 'is it possible to spend all that time on audio setup?' Good question. In the way I work the day it isn't, but each to his own. The compromises we make mustn't be evident on the finished film, that's all.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM   #17
Trustee

Well I am also a one man band, and while I do spend a little extra time on audio, I can have my audio setup at a reception in 10 minutes.

As I said I mount everything on 1 Mic stand. So all I do is mount the m3 Mic with plug in transmitter, zoom h4n with mics, test and go. I have used this setup enough to know placement and have levels preset before the event.

If I could give one piece of advice for anyone shooting video is get the audio off of your camera (unless your source is directly in front of you, a shotgun mic on your camera won't serve you well except for ambient audio).
Find a way to obtain audio from another source. Get your mic close to your subject somehow, like lav micing, portable audio recorder with built in or plug in mics, or even a board feed into a recorder or sent to your camera.

I know a few colleges who use all simply place small audio recorders around and sync in post.
Another, takes 4 wireless feeds and sends them to a 4-track Edirol R44 recorder for perfectly synced audio. He also sends a signal from his recorder to his camera for sync/monitor/backup audio. The recorder and wireless are all placed in 1 small leather bag and kept by him attached to a tripod.

Many ways to do it, and it doesn't really require that much setup time. Just getting a worflow that suits your needs best and a little bit of pre planning.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; April 2nd, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Tom, that's not my quote, that's from Michael Liebergot's post. I agree, the B+G (usually) want us to make them feel like movie stars.
BTW, my town here in the US borders on a town called Billerica.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:25 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Greene View Post
BTW, my town here in the US borders on a town called Billerica.
It's confusing for us Brits to visit New England & find all these English place names in the wrong places e.g. you need travel north to get to Portsmouth.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Jim, yes - the Founding Fathers left this little town of Billericay and sailed over to you lot in the Mayflower boat way back in when? 1500? They built Billerica and to this day our towns are twinned. Sorry folks, a bit off topic.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques