Adding DOF in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Adding DOF in post

I was wondering how many use post processes tools to add blur to their transitions in post. I'm reviewing my footage and I'm wondering if I should just be shooting wide open, and then deal with blurring the footage in post for transitions. Does this work or does it look fake? Any recommended tools.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Adding DOF in post

We used to do this with magic bullet in post but it looks totally fake, your better off just doing without. All it does is blur the edges and when you actually look at shallow dof footage this is nothing like what it actually does.
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Trustee

Greg,

If you mean doing something equivalent to rolling focus to completely obscure everything, while leading into a transition, then you can do this by just adding blur to the last second or two of a shot in post. I've done it, but not for awhile, and sparingly at that.
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Greg

I personally wouldn't go to all the trouble of creating DOF but if you are intent on doing so try using FX Home's Visual Studio ....there is a tutorial at :

FXhome.com :: Tutorial :: Artificial depth-of-field

It involves masking the background and then putting just the background out of focus ..I have never tried it with a bride and groom but have a look anyway!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use FCP 7 and have added blur in the background. It takes a ton of rendering time and makes it slower to work on the timeline, even with a fast computer. You can send it to Color and add tracking too. The background has to be clean or you will end up keyframing each individual frame manually.
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques