Salvaging my first wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 15th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Trustee

Salvaging my first wedding

Ok, I shot my first wedding as a freebie for some friends (I posted about that earlier.) I'm finally finding time to work on the editing. I have a Canon GL2 and the footage from that camera looks great.

HOWEVER - I set up a Sharp VLZ3 (cheap MiniDV camcorder) as a stationary, unmanned camera on a deck above and to the rear of the ceremony. The ceremony was outside, and by the time it started, the sun was in a bad position relative to the stationary camera. (Actually, the sun was right where it was supposed to be, the camera was in a bad position...)

The footage is wonky. The colors are washed put, the image is overexposed, and it plain looks bad. Unfortunately, I was moving around a lot with my GL2, so I have to use the bad footage to fill in while I'm moving my Canon.

I've tried color correcting the footage, but it so bad, that doesn't even help. About all I can do to make it look not completely awful is to convert to black and white. But that would look kind of goofy switching between B&W and color all though the ceremony.

Needless to say, I learned A LOT at this wedding, but I still want to give the family a nice video.

Any suggestions? Any "artistic" things I could do with the available footage that would not look stupid?
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #2
Trustee

You can convert it to Black and White, and then fade into the colors of the other shots, not just change from one to another suddenly. And not always would you make the change to color. If you used some sort of cliche transition using hearts or something insipid like that, or used a fog around the edges, it would make it look even more artistic, and people will consider you an artist instead of seeing it as a mistake.

If you used a color pass and had certain items be in color on the clips where not everything was, that would possibly help as well.
Old August 15th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Could you post a couple of stills for us to see? Then I will see what advice I have to give.
Josh Hibbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Major Player

How I saved my first wedding

My first, and only wedding was a volenteer job as well. I was supposed to have two cameras but ended up with only one. I moved around too much and had HUGE gaps in the ceremony, although I did have continuos sound. I got my hands on a dvd of the photgrapher's stuff and worked several mini montage's into the sequence, covering my substandard video. I also, and I'm sure several of the pros will curse me for this- and rightly so- made a video loop of a CU of the bride and groom from behind. I used the loop in three seperate places to cover other holes.
I did, however, make a full disclosure to the couple afterward. They didn't care, and they still thank me (2years later) whenever we see them.
I will most likely never shoot another one.
Good luck.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Maybe try a short form approach? Unfortunately I've never done one, but from what I understand, you'd be using a music bed with cutaways and other shots taken earlier in the day to timecompress the video and fill in for the cutouts. Maybe someone else can give some more instruction?

A future suggestion, I always try to film like I'm the only camera even though I have a stationary cover cam. I stay in the same spot as much as possible, and use slow pans and zooms.
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #6
New Boot

Salvaging my first wedding

Why not just stick with the footage from one camera and use fades and dissolves to cover up the unwanted camera moves?
Matt Helme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Any chance you could get ahold of some stills from the wedding? If done properly, they make for great "freeze frames" that can cover up the bad spots. Lord knows I did this when I started...
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

don't forget the ace in the hole

Beg and borrow footage off of anyone else who may have been running a vid camera.

good luck
Michael Dempsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques