What SD Card do you Trust for Weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 29th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What SD Card do you Trust for Weddings?

I have a couple weddings coming up in April. I've always used Transcend cards, but even the class 10's are too slow sometimes. I've had random luck with these cards in my T2i and 60D. Sometimes they work flawlessly, and other times they are a nightmare. I'm in need of a large capacity card for the ceremony portion of the wedding. I will be shooting alone, so I need a card I won't have to worry about. I'd hate for the unattended B camera to miss any of the ceremony because "recording has stopped automatically."

What card do you trust for weddings? I know Sandisk is top of the line, but they make ridiculously overpriced products.

That was a bunch of pointless rambling, but my main concern is: who here trusts Transcend cards? I basically just need some reassurance. If enough people recommend Transcend, I'll order a 32 or 64gb class 10. If not, I'll buy a Sandisk (with the money I don't have).

Thanks for any help!
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: What SD Card do you Trust for Weddings?

I use Transcend 16gb cards. I have not had any issues with them yet. (knock on wood) I like the 16gb because if for some reason my card fails, then I will have lost about 30-40 minutes of footage max. If you are using a 32 or 64gb card, then you are talking a loss of hours of footage. It's just a small reassurance I like to take.
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use the 16 gigs also. I love the size, but since I am shooting alone I will need a large capacity card purely for the ceremony. (I won't have time to switch cards while I'm roaming with a monopod)
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Major Player

I own 8 sandisk. One has failed on me. But the footage was recoverable with Aero Quartet software called Treasure.

I also own 3 32gb Lexar Professional 300x and have never had an issue. I've heard from photographers that these are the most reliable because of what kind of buffer is inside I guess!! I actually like the 32 gig card cause it gets us through the prep, ceremony and photos. If you have a full Mass Catholic ceremony you don't have to worry about running out. And you can upload your footage without having to come back to swap out cards as often. Yes, I run the risk of losing 32gigs but if I lose 16gig it's still bad.

I always run two cams during the ceremony, first dance and speeches just in case.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Kelly,

Do you run a continuous shot of the ceremony with the 32 gigs? I'm debating whether or not 32gb is an efficient amount of space to cover the average ceremony.
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I use 16gb Transcend SD cards. I have 5 of them and have never failed me once (knock on wood too). Although I use a class 6, i've read reviews that class 10 are more susceptible to failures.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Talawe View Post
I use 16gb Transcend SD cards. I have 5 of them and have never failed me once (knock on wood too). Although I use a class 6, i've read reviews that class 10 are more susceptible to failures.
I think that may be true, Chris.

Well, I've decided to spend the extra money and buy a 32gb Class 10 Sandisk. Better safe then sorry!

I apologize for the pointless thread. Let's just turn it into a good source for card reliability information.
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Major Player

if you have a failed card... can you still play back the video on the camera? Is there no way to tell that it's to late until you get home and try to transfer the footage onto the computer?
Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Major Player

I've had issues with an 8 gig and 16 gig Sandisk SD card.

I only buy Trancends now and I've had no issues.
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

All my cards are Transcends ..I use a combination of 8GB and 16GB and all are pretty good. All are Class 6 and plenty fast enough. I did buy some class 10 ones but strangely they took twice as long to format...I suspect they were not the genuine article so I tossed them!!

Just make sure you buy real Transcend and not the fake ones on eBay!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Major Player

I use Transcends in my EX1, 550D and Nex-5, never had a problem with them. All cards, even the so called best, are capable of failure, Having a locked off camera covering all you can, is the best safeguard. The problem is, if card failure happens, its to late to do anything about it. I do believe we are getting a bit paranoid regarding this, I had quite a few tape wrap ups over the years, its something that is going to happen. The only way is to find a card you like, test it as much as you can, and when you, personally, are satisfied and confident with its performance, stick with it. You will never get an objective answer to which card is best, we have all found strengths in the cards we use regularly. I like and trust Transcend, I have no reason not to, the next guy will advocate using Sandisk etc etc
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
if you have a failed card... can you still play back the video on the camera? Is there no way to tell that it's to late until you get home and try to transfer the footage onto the computer?
Steve
Failed card? How do you know? I think the tendency is to assume it's media issue but in fact there is the possibility that the camera has performed write errors, or has recorded a corrupt file to an error free card.

I've had bad files on a card, made the assumption that the card was bad, but subsequently filled the card with perfect files over and over.

The speed of a particular card is not fast enough? Re-visit the 7D manual which states that the minimum read/write speed only needs to be 8 MB/s. That's a fairly slow card.

Last edited by Craig Terott; March 31st, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Always Transcend also. Never a problem. Best price/service I've found is www.memoryten.net
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:04 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi John

Are you using Class 6 or 10??? I changed back to 6 as my Class 10 cards seemed to take forever to format in the camera. I have never had an issue with the Class 6 and they are plenty fast enough!!

However although they are supposed to last thousands of uses I do buy a couple every 3 months and "retire" the older ones (well not actually retire but I use 'em for realty shoots where if the card DID fail, I can simply change it and reshoot the clip..unlike a wedding)

Do you replace yours on a regular basis ????

Hope Christchurch is slowly recovering too!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Chris - yeah - I'm not going back into the city for a while. 180 buildings being torn down apparently - gonna be quite a different skyline soon.

I'm using 133x 32gb Transcend CF cards in my Z7. Been using the same one for the last 80+ weddings and hasn't skipped a beat. 32GB CompactFlash Card Ultra 133X with MLC Flash inside Retail, Transcend, CDW, TS32GCF133 - MemoryTen

Just purchased the 600D/T3i to play with and have ordered the Class10 Transcend 32gd SDHC from MemoryTen. I kind of wish I ordered the Class 6 as I've heard it's just as good - but this was the same price. Hasn't arrived yet but will let you know the results soon. 32GB 9p SDHC Secure Digital Class 10 Retail, Transcend, CRC, TS32GSDHC10 - MemoryTen
John Knight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques