Save or spend? That is the question. :) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:43 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Save or spend? That is the question. :)

Spend "time"...not "money" whenever possible.

Practice your camera skills away from paid jobs. Study your footage to see where you can improve. Study other people's footage (both good and bad) to sharpen your "eye" and "ear" for determining what makes for a great film. Take a hard look at the gear you're planning to take on a shoot and see if you find a way to lighten the load or streamline your setup/teardown time (so you'll have more minutes available for shooting). Think hard about the option of using different angles than the norm when planning a shoot. Study how other vendors interact with clients, guests, and other vendors.

There are many things like these you can do to improve your filmmaking skills that require zero dollars, and the skills you acquire will last you longer than finding something to spend money on.

When the time comes that you find your gear is holding you back in some way...then it's time to buy...and don't go cheap. Save your money and buy good gear so you can reach that next level you're going for.

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input so far! I am thinking about upgrading one of my tripods, buying a video light, or buying a blackbird. I have two consumer grade tripods. They both have (fluid heads) but they are on the cheaper end of tripods. I don't have any on camera lights. And I don't have any kind of steadicam. Which do you guys think would be the most important to the least important?
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Well IMO the stabilizer comes last. Tripods (one at least for the primary or A camera is of utmost importance-remember you might not always be doing weddings where the movement is slow and almost a none starter) and lighting. On camera is a great place to start and while many don't like it it's better than no light at all. I've done weddings in places so dark the photographer asks me to turn on my light so he can focus. Get what you need then get what you can live without.
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Tyson

I cannot live without my video light!!! I found that the CN-160 series are pretty good and not really expensive either!! Remember at weddings you do need two of everything...just in case... so budget to make sure you have two tripods (or keep an old one as a spare)

I don't have two stedicams though!!!! One is enough and it that has a problem then I'll shoot handheld. If you have some change left over grab a couple of spare batteries for your cameras as well!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Yoder View Post
Thanks for the input so far! I am thinking about upgrading one of my tripods, buying a video light, or buying a blackbird. I have two consumer grade tripods. They both have (fluid heads) but they are on the cheaper end of tripods. I don't have any on camera lights. And I don't have any kind of steadicam. Which do you guys think would be the most important to the least important?
Tyson, check out StillMotion's last video they posted on vimeo. No Steadicam at all.

Michael Simons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques