remote control systems for events - not weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 5th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Major Player

remote control systems for events - not weddings

I'm wondering if anyone here uses a remote control system for stage events like plays, concerts, or dance recitals.

I have one job in particular where it would be much better if I could elevate the camera either on an extremely high tripod or even speaker stand while I remain on the ground ... able to monitor and control the camera. Due to the dance recital situation and theatre lighting, being able to use the iris would probably be a "must have."

I tried google today, but coming up short on suggestions ... didn't know if anyone hear was using something.

If you've got something that works, please let me know.

Thanks -

Scott
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: remote control systems for events - not weddings

Hi Scott,

I was checking this system out for a client once - job never transpired so I didn't get it in the end so can't give it a personal recommendation... but it looks good.

Grizzly Pro Video - Home Page
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Trustee

I tried the Grizzly system several years ago, but returned it because it's pans and tilts were too jerky for my liking. I ended up keeping my MC50
VariZoom Jib Arms, Camera Cranes, Camera Jibs, Remote Pan and Tilt Head Systems - Phone: 512-219-7722
Absolute finesse in feathered pans, tilts, zooms. You get what you pay for!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #4
New Boot

Warren, Sorry you didn't like your system, but it does take a bit of practice to run effectively. The current pan/tilt head isn't perfect but it's smoother than the one you had and it's still the most cost effective system on the market. If you are really looking for a "broadcast" quality system then it isn't for you, but if you are good with at least one less zero on the price tag then it will get the job done (it's been used on a number of broadcast productions ... NPR etc).
Phil Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I tried the Grizzly a while back and no, it isn't in the same class as the rigs we used when I did the remote cams for NASCAR BUT......For what 1 of the remotes we used cost you could buy a bunch of Grizzly systems. I don't know offhand what the systems cost but I do know that you could get a decent used car for the same amount. Of course these heads worked off of Cartoni tripods that were about the cost of a good used car as well (and were the same weight) so I guess its all relative.
I was actually impressed with the Grizzly and felt for the money it was a well built system that worked well. Plus AFAIK there's nothing else in the price range like it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques