Aussies - what's your NLE software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #1
AVPA

Aussies - what's your NLE software?

so I want to know what people use out in our world for weddings in my backyard.
I use Vegas and know it's not popular so finding editors has been tough.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Aussies - what's your NLE software?

I use Vegas 10 and love it..nothing against other NLE's but Vegas works for me...
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Trustee

I was a Vegas user until I switched over to Premiere a few years ago for better compatabilty/interchangeability with some of my clients/colleagues.

Too bad I'm not based in Melbourne. I would love to go back to being a full time Vegas user ; )
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Good to know that there are more Vegas users out there
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Vegas for me too!!!

I currently use Version 9 cos it works for me and I'm too lazy to update it!!

I started with Version 4 many years back and stuck with it. The only NLE that I tried amongst the pile of trial versions that worked logically!!

I must admit that I only use the NLE not the Authoring!! I really prefer Mediachance's DVDLab for authoring my DVD's!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Chris,
I would stick with vegas 9 as well.. apart from the built in stabilizer in vegas 10 which I don't use anyway... for doing weddings there's no need to upgrade...knowing what I do now.. I wouldn't.
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Ray

I work with Murphy's Law always in mind "If it's working, don't mess with it" I think it goes on to say "If you do mess with it and then it doesn't work, blame someone else" ...I have no-one to blame!!!

The only smallish issue I found was that you need to create a new text object each time cos if you overwrite the text on an existing one, regardless of saving the project to a new name...it changes the text in both! I'm used to just duplicating text objects on each new clip...apart from that it's very stable!!!

I actually have Mercalli 2.0 as both a standalone and a plugin so I have the new stabilizer in Version 9 anyway!!!

I must admit I have always been impressed with performance too!! Never had a crash in any version as yet so that also keeps me running Win XP Pro in 32 bit. The combination does the job and weddings get out on time so why change something that works!!! I know I should upgrade my little DuoCore 2.2GHz machine as I cannot edit AVCHD without the 'puter burping and spluttering so all my footage gets transcoded with NewBlue Upshift to HDV 1920x1080 MPEG2 progressive at 50mbps before going back down to Standard Def (Our brides over in the West can't even spell BluRay never mind own one so everything is supplied on DVD)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Ray

The only smallish issue I found was that you need to create a new text object each time cos if you overwrite the text on an existing one, regardless of saving the project to a new name...it changes the text in both! I'm used to just duplicating text objects on each new clip...apart from that it's very stable!!!

Chris
Right click on the effect, select copy. Right click on the timeline where you want to put the new text, select paste. A window will pop up asking if you want to create a new event or copy the old one. Select new, then click the text attributes and make your changes.

That ought to do it, mate.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Charles

I know how to do it..I was just mentioning that it's a small bug in Version 9 but I have learnt to work around it!! The rest of the package has never given a problem and I have probably done close to 100 weddings with this version too!!! (I actually skipped 8 so prior to this I had Vegas 7 and SD Tape cameras)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques