Customer Guide... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Customer Guide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
John, I won't tell you that because I can't. Nor have I ever had a refusal.
Hi Philip, no offence intended at all - not telling you how to run things.

However, like Travis, if I was the groom and paid good money for a professional to 'take care of' the video side of things - and was nervously awaiting the end of my life - opps I mean the start of my new marriage.... and a 17 pager showed up - I would spew! I probably wouldn't mention it to the videographer at the end of the day, but my opinion of him would certainly drop. And I wouldn't be able to look at him during the day without thinking 'your the git that gave me a 17 page document to fill out!' Just saying. I hate surveys.

I have a single page which gives names, phone numbers, times, locations and a couple of lines for 'special requests' (ie: cute dog at ceremony, or cake made by grandma' etc) But all fits on one page with a 'to pack' list on the back.

Last week I worked with one of those hyperactive wedding planners and were given a 10-page minute-by-minute runsheet. (ie: 6:03pm Music commences, 6:04pm John and wife enter smiling and waving, 6:05pm.... etc) The restaurant manager, the MC and I were huddled in disbelief trying to work out what the hell was supposed to happen next when the MC saw my 1 page notes - ripped the 10-pager into shreds - grabbed my schedule and said 'thank god someones being sensible - thanks!'. Ha ha. Loved that.

That said - back to the OP post, I too have often thought of composing a 'ten tips to make your wedding video awesome' email. If anything just so I can say I TOLD YOU SO when the bestman gets drunk, or the minister balks at wearing a mic. I've just never got around to it and really don't know if everyone that needs to read it, will.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #17
Trustee

John, and none taken I assure you.

Perhaps the reason our questionnaire (it's definitely not a survey) works is because it's relevant. No-one's ever refused to complete one.

A small part of it replicates the couple's wedding file - which we offer as a service on the basis that they won't have their wedding file with them and probably not even their phones. With the questionnaire and our phones in hand (and bearing in mind that unlike even most photographers who push off after the first dance) we're around all day and thus able to help out if some supplier needs contacting. It happens rarely but when it does we're heroes. The last time was when the gospel choir's sat-nav broke down and the father of the bride was on with me constantly telling the vicar he wasn't leaving the house (nearby) until the choir had arrived.

The rest of the piece is a slightly more formal version of Chris's notes. Times, schedule, key notes which help us include what they want in the edit plus a couple of extras which separate us from the rest and which we don't publicise, even here.

If I was ever accused or even talked of as the git who gave us a 17 page survey I'd change it of course, but it's never happened.

Like so much in our business, one size doesn't fit all and hopefully by explaining how and why we each do things it will help others avoid making the same mistakes we all made.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Mine is basically a single A4 page with lots of boxes and space for remarks..only difference is that I fill in the details while I'm chatting with them...it's quite probable that they give me in excess of 17 items that are noteworthy!!

I do it purely because I like to have everything organised and "known" before the wedding...try to get info from a bride just before or just after a wedding is like pulling hen's teeth!!!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #19
Major Player

I talk to the bride the week of the wedding and ask her to tell the makeup artist to dress appropriately. No ugly sweat pants and no boobs falling out bc they are eye level with the brides face. That's my list.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #20
Major Player

LOL Michael!

I agree about the sweat pants - but have no issues with boobs. :)
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #21
Major Player

I too do a wedding questionnaire that I got from Matt Davis at Life Stage Films. it's about 8 pages, but the text is big and I only expect them to answer with a few words. Its crucial to making sure nothing is missed and we have all the contacts, address, phone numbers and names of the vendors.

We also ask them about what they do and don't want in their video.

example: who do you want us to film, anyone in particular? do you want us to remove any swearing or drunkeness? any special events that you want filmed? list your favorite songs, artist etc. is this a candle lit ceremony (i then add in that lighting is crucial, if they turn down the lights at the reception all the way we can't film. etc. do they want any decorations filmed, if so which ones?

the questionnaire prevents any mistakes on our part and if they didn't write it down then we are not responsible for it. its like a second contract.

Tips I give them:
Bring all the rings to the bridal suite to be filmed.
Allow at least 2 hours for us to film you getting ready with an extra hour to get to and setup at the ceremony.
Turn off any music in the bridal suite.
Let the audience see you put on the rings.
Don't chew gum.
Have the bride and groom get ready in the same hotel.

It's good and it works well for me.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hey Kelly

You can ask but it doesn't always happen!! I sometimes have couples getting ready at opposite ends of the city..but yes that does make sense if they get ready in the same place.

We have a bunch of "reception centres" that are awesome..the bride gets ready there, ceremony there, photoshoot there and also the reception!! It's great to park the car and go to work without having to go to half a dozen venues!!

John?? My thoughts exactly... you need something to spice up your day and the makeup girl in a low cut top does often make my day...then again at my age I do need cheering up now and again!!

I think that Kelly has actually a bigger questionaire than Philip now!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques