how much gear is too much? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:42 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: how much gear is too much?

Hey Don

Now that is a monster!! I do really like using a grab 'n shoot camera and all up the HMC82's with the ENG rig (which takes the load off the front of the cam via a waist belt) and a dual receiver, Rode mic and LED light barely makes up 8lbs which is a lot better than 22lbs... apart from ceremony and speeches I can get away with all handhelds too which I just couldn't do with a small form camera (if I for instance, went down to the HMC40) With the front end supported by the waist belt and spring loaded rod of the rig there is virtually no weight you have to carry and it basically sits on your shoulder!!

However the form factor is still BIG so you still can't toss two cams into a camera bag which is a distinct disadvantage moving from venue to venue. I dunno if you remember way back in the 80's JVC had a Saticon tube camera (quite tiny) and a matching VHSC recorder and they both clipped into a shoulder mount P3 frame so it ended up as a full size camera ..of course you still had to fiddle around clipping in the camera and then the recorder and lock them all together BUT at the end of filming you could pull everything apart and toss it in a camera bag.

I will probably do some intensive DIY with 3/4" aluminium square tube at the weekend and see if I can fabricate a frame that will hold all my gear!!! If it works I will post a few pics...if there are no pics then you know it was a dismal failure!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
I shot a ton of weddings from circa 1995-2003, and for the most part hated it. Two giant shoulder-mount cameras in hard cases (you had to wheel each around), two extremely heavy tripods, multiple battery belts and power supplies with all the related cords . . . it was hellish.

But now that all the equipment is a fraction of the size and weight, shooting weddings is fun again. I'm in it to be creative, not for excessive manual labor :)
I started in '92 and the camera's didn't even hold the tape. I had to carry a seperate record deck.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:42 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Chris, I still have my ENG rig from DVTec and I agree, it worked like gangbusters. I don't remember that particular camera but then sometimes I don't remember my wifes name either so....

Michael, I DO remember the recording deck. Had to love it (not). Limited by the length of your extension cord. Oh well, everyone and everything has to start somewhere.
Honestly one of my all time favorite cameras was the JVCX2B. Loved 'em. Sold them sometime ago for scrap. Let technology continue up up and away!

O|O
\--/
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM   #19
Regular Crew

For weddings we have 2 shooters. Each shooter can carry what he needs in 1 trip. Rig 1 is a Pana HMC40 in a varizoom case which also holds the audio equipment and LED light and a second bag with the camera tripod and light tripod. Rig 2 is a Pana HMC70 in a case with audio + LED light and a another case with a tripod and light stand. There is also a small backpack case that holds the Canon T3i and lenses.
Two people can handle all the gear in 1 trip.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
I started in '92 and the camera's didn't even hold the tape. I had to carry a seperate record deck.
What kind of cameras were you using? Betacam?
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
Same here! I shot my first wedding in 1991 with a Panasonic 200CLE cabled to
a Sony BVU-110 U-matic deck. What a workout that was. Then I switched to Hi-8.
Camera + recorder = camcorder, what a concept, and a complete game-changer
at the time.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques