LED Light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: LED Light

We are Comer LED light authorized dealer in the US. I'm also a wedding videographer. I use Comer 1800 at weddings and I love it. Coming from LP Micro and SWIT LED, the Comer 1800 is just very powerful yet flexible. I love using the Condenser lens for the spot light and the Condenser lens trick for high narrow beam for zooming.

This clip shows how power the Comer light is at a dark reception

This clip shows the Comer spot light mode

Check this out for the Condenser Lens trick
Comer Lights Condenser Trick | L.A. Color Blog
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Yes, it's great light Taky.

Mark, thanks much for the valuable tip. Are you saying the Comer 1800 can be operated remotely while using the Sony battery? Does he use an adapter where the battery goes on the light, I'm guessing?

At any rate, I have contacted him, and am excited about this idea!
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Comer 1800 doesn't come with any remote control. When I mount the light on light stand, I don't use Sony battery. I use this battery that has a D-tap jack.

http://lacoloronline.com/product/?U6...r-Sony-EX1-EX3
http://lacoloronline.com/product/?U9...r-Sony-EX1-EX3

Then I connect the Comer light with the included D-tap cable. Then put the battery in a pouch and hang at the leg of the light stand. It also helps by adding a little weight to stabilize the light stand (really, it's just a little bit). If I need to turn the light on and off, I just need to unplug the D-tap cable with the battery. No need to lower the light to turn it on and off.

The BP-U95 batteries can power a Comer light 7 hours.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Sounds nice Taky. Since I have a few Sony batteries already, and I don't use them for cameras anymore, hopefully I can rig something up like Mark was talking about, unless he's using the ex3 batteries you're using.
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:15 AM   #20
Major Player

I've been looking into switching over to a LED setup that would give me a cold look on the dance floor.
Right now I use 2 50W lights on light stands. They work off of a remote and are very similar to the wireless wedding light setup mentioned above.
IMO, a light that has a cooler temperature opposed to one with a warmer one is a lot less noticeable (or more acceptable), at least for dancing....

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:54 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post

...Mark, thanks much for the valuable tip. Are you saying the Comer 1800 can be operated remotely while using the Sony battery? Does he use an adapter where the battery goes on the light, I'm guessing?
Hi Jeff,

You are welcome, and no, I'm not using the Sony battery with the remote system. If you are handy you may be able to wire one up yourself. Since I am not handy like that, I rely on others.
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I'm actually doing an about face on the LED. I found a perfect gel to indoor light-balance my Fotodiox model LED120 light and I'm pretty tickled with it. The little light throws out SO much light for it's size, has a remarkable spread, and yet is so tiny, it fits perfectly on my GH2 next to the shotgun. With the gel, it's pretty sweet. I'm going to get a fixture to give it tilt and rotation and use it this weekend, and see what happens. At least with the gel it matches the Comer absolutely perfectly. I love my Comer, but for run and gun during the reception it is too large on my tiny camera, so I'll keep the Comer on a stand full time, which is ideal anyway.
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

I too found the LED lights (the cheaper ones) had a major weak point on the mounting...it's way to flimsy for theweight of the light and also has just height adjustment. What I bought was a mini ball-head that had a cold show fitting at the bottom and bolted that into the body of the light. It's now really sturdy and adjustable and rotatable too!!! At least now it doesn't wobble and quiver on the camera!!!

Nice cheap fix too!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques