DSLRs: am I just being paranoid? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:26 AM   #76
Major Player

Re: DSLRs: am I just being paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Us techies will rip it to pieces and go on about compression, moire, aliasing and all that.
Do you do anything to combat that?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 02:27 PM   #77
Major Player

Nope, because to the client. It doesn't matter one iota. Just don't shoot certain types of brick wall :)
Old July 31st, 2011, 04:15 PM   #78
Trustee

I had an interesting conversation with a BBC chappie yesterday and it might be topical here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ml#post1671494
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:04 AM   #79
Inner Circle

Lay viewers care little or nothing about moire as they have been seeing it on TV newsreader's stripy shirts for years. It's us straining for technical perfection who worry about these things.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:01 AM   #80
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
snipped

Think about this. When in a hollywood movie do you see them zoom? Generally never. The reason is the zoom is un-natural to the human eye. We cant do it, we need to move our feet to get closer and thats then a dolly shot. So when we see it we feel un-easy. Thats why hollywood doesnt zoom, they jump cut or dolly. Thats one reason to re-consider using zooms. If you went DSLR you cant zoom, as you say, no servo.

Audio is done hollywood style also, all external for the good stuff like the lav mic and readings but for general action like the bridal prep we use onboard with audio gain. Honestly dont have a problem with it.

snipped
Unfortunately this is inaccurate. Movies are not events and aren't recorded like events so the techniques used can't be compared. Although it's true zooms are used less in movies than event television that's due to the nature of the beast - at least in the way most of us make our programmes, not "dollying in" imposing on the event, but changing focal length from out of the way.

Zoom lenses have been used extensively in Hollywood movies since decent versions were invented. I happened to be watching a DVD of a classic, the French Connection, last night and Friedkin (no mean director) uses two long, fast zooms in the first 5 minutes - and FWIW a gross violation of the 180 "rule" some people (not Danny) are so fond of quoting. To give another more recent example, the opening few minutes of The Bourne Ultimatum contains many short, sharp zooms which, along with his unusual closeup framing have rightly earned Paul Greengrass his eminent reputation as a director.

Finally, film audio has to be recorded separately not because of any virtue in the system but because (with a few exceptions in the amateur world) you can't record sound to film in the camera. In fact film/audio sync control in film-making adds cost and cabling we wedding people would find unacceptable. Finally, much Hollywood style audio is re-dubbed in the sound studio afterwards so I doubt the complete accuracy of that statement also.

None of this detracts from the benefits DSLRs can give but let's not get them out of proportion.

Last edited by Philip Howells; August 2nd, 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques