Starting in the Wedding Business... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Starting in the Wedding Business...

The only thing I have to add to this thread is maybe to consider other types of gigs besides just weddings. Most of my work is other than weddings, and most of the weddings I get come from contacts I make doing the other types of video work.

And of course, variety adds zest to life. I really enjoy shooting football games etc. I have also really benefited from some of the business seminars I've shot. It's better than free training. I got paid to shoot seminars I can't afford to attend. And doing the editing allowed the concepts expressed in the footage to sink in a little.

Business can be hard. It might pay to diversify.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; July 30th, 2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: typo
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Roger,
I agree 110%. During the slower times around here the seminars, training vides and talking heads have saving my financial butt more than once. Heck I even do regular old AV work when it's available to me. Frankly I don't care if I'm loading in and setting up an AV gig and then come back 2 days later to strike and load out. Money is money.
Also at weddings make sure you have lots of business cards cause who's at a wedding? Lots of people that are getting engaged or have just gotten engaged and you never know who needs a videographer.
Also you never what else can come out of a wedding. I had a corporate client for 16 years that pai me a lot of money during those years. where did I meet the head honcho? He was a guest at a wedding I did about 20 years ago. It turned out to be one of the best all time gigs I ever had in my life.
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Roger and Don

I think the expression is 'don't put all your eggs in one basket" !! 3 or 4 different income sources makes for less stress if things are quiet. Besides more often than not weddings are strictly weekends and I would say 90% of my booking are for Friday/Saturday which leaves 5 days free for other ventures.

I do rental condition shoots for two Realty Agents here and last tax year it made me the same as weddings did!! Ok, it isn't as much fun as a wedding but it certainly pays the bills. It just makes business sense to use your gear that cost you all that money to make you money!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the replies! I've definitely learned a lot about what to do, and what not to do. I will definitely have a second camera for B Roll stuff.

Also, I'm just curious: If you could only have one lens for your GH2, which one would it be and why?

Thanks for your replies!

Steven
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bills View Post
If you could only have one lens for your GH2, which one would it be and why?
I have a GH1, but I think it still applies. I'd have the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95. I don't have this one, but it's been spoken of highly on this forum. The nice big aperture is what attracts me the most. Runner-up would be the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:14 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I've heard a lot of good things about the 20mm as well.

Anyone else?
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:23 PM   #22
Major Player

If you get the crazy idea to hand hold the gh2, do some test before the event and look at the footage. You want three points of contact for stabilization and with hand holding (depending on how massive your arms are) anything under 70mm is manageable.

Also, get a comfortable set of shoes.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques