Sound Bytes in Trailers or Highlight Videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 5th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Sound Bytes in Trailers or Highlight Videos

Hi All,

Just wanted to get an overview of who is using sound bytes in their highlights and teasers...up until recently, we usually used things from the ceremony...that is where we mic'd the most, and had the best audio...but now that I've watched samples, and read around here, I have discovered the value of sound bytes from the bridal prep, as well as using toasts from the reception, etc.

My problem is, [and this is particularly in regards to pre-wedding prep coverage] some weddings I get a lot of great stuff, whereas others either a) seem to be talking about things you would never want on video i.e. complaining about a bridesmaid who isn't present or other inappropriate things, or b) I seem to just miss a good sound byte, either by moving or for the fact that I'm not filming constantly. I mean it's not like I can just set the camera up for 4 hours of hair and makeup and hit record just in case something amazing is said :-)

Any advice, or how do you capture your prep sound bytes??

Thanks!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sound Bytes in Trailers or Highlight Videos

Hi, Katie,

This doesn't fully answer your question (because it's using the ceremony in this case as you've described). But I generally pull from a personalized reading or a toast in the teaser if it's something that makes a good narrative for the trailer. In this recent trailer (this week), beginning at about 1'15'' or so, there is an E.E. Cummings poem that I thought made a nice narrative.

In terms of using more ambient types of sound, though, in the teaser and rest of the highlights, I'm with you -- it's something I'd love to do more of, but feel like I just need to take that plunge. My highlights have already become more documentary in style (no more slow-mo, fewer "effects" -- just nice coloring), and so it seems to be moving in that direction, but I'd love ideas.
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Katie. I find myself in your (B) situation a lot lately. I think in order to conteract this issue I am going to try using an external digital recorder, namely the Zoom H2, and capture audio from the bride and groom prep. That way if I start or end the recording too late or soon, then I will be covered by the external recorder. I believe my recorder can capture around 14 hours of audio with an 8GB card. MORE than enough.

Like I said, I haven't done this yet, but will be giving it a shot soon.
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I try not to stage anything, but if there is something that is amazing that is said during prep, I just ask them to repeat it. I try to make a joke of it to get them to be a little more natural by saying something like "say it again, but this time with more feeling!". Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but generally it does and then I get to have the moment in the video!
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #5
New Boot

I used some of the personal vows in my most recent 'coming soon' clip.

Kelly and Patrick’s wedding at Stansted House and the Tithe Barn wedding and portrait photographer London, Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire
Bev Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Katie, the answer is to learn how to interview people so that they give you the sound bites you want. I'm not saying it's easy but in my view, having done it and for a while taught it to clients, I regard it as a knack rather than as a skill per se.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques