1-800 numbers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Major Player

1-800 numbers?

I am thinking of subscribing an 1-800 for my videography business, but since the nationwide free long distance call for most phone carriers nowadays, I was wondering if the 1-800 numbers still makes sense.

So for those using 1-800 numbers in their business, I need your inputs, what are the pros and cons and where did you get your services. Thanks!

Last edited by Rickey Brillantes; August 17th, 2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add text
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 1-800 numbers?

Back in the retail days of my day job we were one of the few smaller businesses in the area to have one. I never have thought twice about grabbing the phone and dialing, but it is amazing the number of people who won't. Surprisingly many of these people were also financially able to make the purchase of the item they were inquiring about. IMO, it expanded our "reach" or our market. It also allowed us to promote in areas we previously didn't. If you were to go with one, IMO, it is making a statement that yours is a regional, not just local, business. What you ARE going to find, people will dial the 800 number before the regular one, even if they do have free long distance on their phone. :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Good point Chip! So what service provider are you using, is it from your local phone company or those internet providers? and how do you call your clients back, do you also use the 1-800 numbers or your local number.

Oh I spoke to one of the photographer whom I usually work with and happens to be using the 1-800 number and he told me that maybe they might drop using the 1-800 number for they are getting the impression that they are a BIG company, and that clients are shunning away from them. Good point to eh!

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

We use an 800 number and it's really not that expensive. We like it because we can literally forward the 800 number to any other phone number within a minute if we want. Also, we do a lot of destination work and sometimes it's helpful for a potential client to not know where you are located and just make the call.
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Right on there Travis, here at my location my area code has a stigma, that's why probably I may go with an 1-800 number. Thanks! Now what I need is a good service provider.

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I did a lot of research on this a year ago and we went with Kall8. It's been great so far.
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Rickey,

We had our local service provider supply it and it rang through on our regular numbers. When we called back it was just charged to us like a regular long distance call at the time.

The 800 number is good, especially if you are trying to get rid of that "stigma". What I would suggest though is making sure your location is listed, so people understand they wouldn't be calling Portland, Maine or something crazy like that. Using just 800 alone can work against you because most everyone has figured out they are a "blind" area code and many want to know where they are calling.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Just a thought. What percentage of people that are calling you from a cell phone with free long distance? 99.9%? Do you want a customer that would think twice about paying for a long distance call? Not me. The third thing is that personally if I am calling a 800 number I feel like I am calling a large company where I am just another customer.

The views expressed above are totally personal. :)
David Schmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Thank you Chip and Travis for your advise on this, got mine today and it was an easy process.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques