spanish to english at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 16th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Major Player

spanish to english

Hi all,
Few month ago I filmed a weddong that the entire ceremony and toast were in spanish.
In November I will have a chines wedding and they will not speak english.
I am looking for a software that will translate to english text.
Thanks in advance.
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: spanish to english

Hi Dror

May I ask why??? Any translation would surely lose all emotion and at best you would have TTS style speech. It's a Chinese wedding and if that's their home language then IMHO they should stay in the language the bride expects.
I did a wedding on Saturday where the FOB announced in broken English that he will do his toast/speech in Portguese and it was really great..he did a good job with lots of emotion and although I didn't understand it I could see that he was way more comfortable in his own language!!!

Packages like Dragon Speak will convert to text for you but I'm not sure if they have a Chinese version that converts to English ...even if they do you would also need Chinese fonts installed ...and that's only to text!!! Then if you are intending to back to voice you need something really good like Loquendo which will convert text to the language and speak it fairly naturally BUT it will lose any emotion

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Chris,
All I want is to understand what they are saying for the editing.
2 years ago I had the same case but the bride and groom translate the most important parts of the ceremony.
I know its a challenge but I love doing those weddings.
So basically I am looking for software that will be able to listen to the speech and ceremony and output as english text.
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Dror

What I would do would be to make friends with someone at the wedding and see if they could assist you during the speeches edit by doing an "on the fly" translation.
Just be careful that you have someone during the wedding to "pre-translate" things as they happen so you know whether you should be filming it or not.

For that very reason, I don't do ethnic weddings in their native language as you have no idea what's happening!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques