Recommend a starter DSLR to dabble with? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:31 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Recommend a starter DSLR to dabble with?

Any thougts on the Canon T3? It only shoots 720 but from what I read, some of our colleagues shoot in 720? It is less than $ 600 brand new. Really debating Nikon d3100 vs t3.

Pros D3100 shoots 1080, Cons I would have to invest on Nikon lenses. T3, Pros affordable, wife has Canon lens at my disposal. cons 720 only.

I was this close to buying the GH1 but somebody beat me to it on Craigslist.

Your insights greatly appreciated.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:01 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Magic Lantern is now available for the t3i/600d - I've loaded it and are playing now - looks sweet!
Hi John,
Have you tried monitoring audio through the mini USB using Magiclantern? From what I've read, this is not yet available on the T3i. I currently have a T2i and have the ability to do this. I am considering an upgrade but will not unless I can monitor audio on headphones.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tori View Post
Hi John,
Have you tried monitoring audio through the mini USB using Magiclantern? From what I've read, this is not yet available on the T3i. I currently have a T2i and have the ability to do this. I am considering an upgrade but will not unless I can monitor audio on headphones.
Hi Brian, nope - I don't have any usb headphones. The audio level meters are working with ML - but personally I would never use a DSLR for audio - I use a variety of mics hooked into a Zoom H4n for sound.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Noel, if you want a GH1 that is non-hackable I have one in the classifieds, along with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, adpater, and other stuff. I shoot four of these cameras in 720p and I am absolutely loving it. I know 1080p is better, etc, but 720p handles so well on the timeline. I edit four lines at a time with little trouble. Very smooth.

I have 3 GH1s and 2 GH2s, and am trying to raise funds for a zoom lens, hence the equipment sale.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:42 PM   #20
Major Player

My first lens was Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC. No complaint picture-wise, in fact I reckon its one of the sharpest zoom lens I've seen. But the focus rings fail.. I cringed everytime I rotate it.. its just not smooth enough. If you have budget, I'll vote for Canon 17-55 f2.8.

Even with that lens alone could get you started playing around with the DSLR. If you want something else.. try the nifty-fifty 50mm f1.8 or if you're brave shooting the speeches with DSLR, get 85mm f1.8 or 135mm f2.0 then you'll get to see how sharp DSLR images could really get with these lenses. :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Noel, if you want a GH1 that is non-hackable I have one in the classifieds, along with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, adpater, and other stuff. I shoot four of these cameras in 720p and I am absolutely loving it. I know 1080p is better, etc, but 720p handles so well on the timeline. I edit four lines at a time with little trouble. Very smooth.

I have 3 GH1s and 2 GH2s, and am trying to raise funds for a zoom lens, hence the equipment sale.
Thanks for the offer Jeff. I decided to trade in my VX2100 at a local camera store. I am getting $ 700 for it which will land me a t2i.

Cheers
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Camera is gone. Good luck, I just can't imagine going without an ariticulating screen. The t2i doesn't have one, am I right? Nice cam, just a bit outdated ergonomically, I would think, but it shoots great images. I have an acquaintance and all she complains about is the screen on her camera, I think she has the t2i, but I might be wrong.
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Camera is gone. Good luck, I just can't imagine going without an ariticulating screen. The t2i doesn't have one, am I right? Nice cam, just a bit outdated ergonomically, I would think, but it shoots great images. I have an acquaintance and all she complains about is the screen on her camera, I think she has the t2i, but I might be wrong.
I got rid of my T2i bc I got spoiled with the articulating viewfinder of the 60D. I use the 60D more than my 7D just bc of that viewfinder.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #24
Inner Circle

If I wasn't committed to the GH2 thing, I would jump on a 60d in a heartbeat. Great camera.
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #25
Major Player

This won't be very helpful, but looking at your sample-reel i fail to see what you will gain from getting a DSLR! Your work is artistically stunning already.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #26
Major Player

That's very kind, Jordan. Thank you.

Here's the thing. I'm not looking to make any major stylistic changes (that's part of why I posted the show-reel, to see if folks thought some supplementing of dslr could help/add.

I've just been so drawn to the look of what I see in some of the best DSLR (not overkill by any means -- where the whole thing becomes about changing depth of field constantly, etc.), but to use judiciously and for creating beautiful shots.

So... I thank you again for the kind words and for everyone else who has helped out and chimed in on good advice. I settled on the t3i 600D with a Canon 17-55 lens and a Canon 1.4 50mm. That should be plenty ample for what I have in mind to start. Test shots look gorgeous. Now I've got a real dilemma on my hands. How to use this new thing without jumping too quickly in over my head...
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Brindle View Post
This won't be very helpful, but looking at your sample-reel i fail to see what you will gain from getting a DSLR! Your work is artistically stunning already.

I was reading through all the replies and was waiting for someone to say this.

Tim, I agree with Jordan. You've got some absolutely stunning footage that would rival any of a DSLR, with a less-problematic video camera.

Nevertheless, it sounds like you've jumped pretty quick on some choices. You'll be taken care of with that gear, but now need to see if DSLR shooting's your cup of tea. Good luck.
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #28
Regular Crew

The years 2008-2012 will go down in history as the "the years of limited panning", because any panning with a DSLR beyond snails pace is pure garbage.

If you study the wedding highlights videos of the top DSLR people, all scenes with fast moving camera movements are either slowed down from 60p (losing their filmic qualities), or they were panned at a snail's pace and sped up (again, no filmic qualities). Most of the top shots using DSLR's don't pan at all.

This is still a transition phase, and most people won't admit that the DSLRs limit freedom hugely.

Many shops use HDV prosumer cams when they have to do jib or crane shots.
Jeff Dinges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #29
Major Player

It's because of that point, Jeff, (and, by the way, I'm sure that will inspire some good healthy debate among the DSLR-ers on this forum), but it's because of the limitations of the DSLR (if indeed there are, and there must be, yes), that I am only going to dabble at first and mix in.

I really do value the ability to "play" and be spontaneous with my shots (XF300 is great with that, especially with the iris ring and zoom ring right next to each other). Yes, I try not to zoom too much because I know that is "out" these days, but I still do like those quick, spontaneous movements. So... if I can't do that comfortably on the DSLR, (yet to be seen), then I'll really only by using the DSLR for beautiful setting shots, glidecam and glidetrack.
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dinges View Post
The years 2008-2012 will go down in history as the "the years of limited panning", because any panning with a DSLR beyond snails pace is pure garbage.

If you study the wedding highlights videos of the top DSLR people, all scenes with fast moving camera movements are either slowed down from 60p (losing their filmic qualities), or they were panned at a snail's pace and sped up (again, no filmic qualities). Most of the top shots using DSLR's don't pan at all.

This is still a transition phase, and most people won't admit that the DSLRs limit freedom hugely.
The ugly panning has nothing to do with the HDSLR's. You can pan a DSLR at exactly the same speed as any other camera that shoots 24p/25p (which is most prosumer cams these days), or a film camera for that matter.

Shoot at the appropriate shutterspeed, and you'll never have problems with too much or too little motion blur if you are shooting properly. It's only when you start panning wildly that you get problems.

Regarding rolling shutter, I've never ever seen it on any reasonably paced pan I've shot (ie any pan that I would actually include in a wedding video). The only time I see it appear is when I do a whip pan to quickly frame up a new subject, and I know I'm going to cut around that pan in post anyway.

The DSLR's are less forgiving of crappy camera work. If you don't follow some of the basic fundamentals of cinematography, (stabilise your camera; 180 degree rule; 7-second pans from one side of the frame to the other, etc) then they will expose your flaws. And if you are breaking these rules, regardless of what camera you use, I think you deserve to have your flaws exposed.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques