DJ altering the tempo of music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Trustee

DJ altering the tempo of music

I don't know how often this happens - 1st time I've come across it - it was a pain in the arse!

I spent hours trying to match up the 1st dance to the song they'd supplied - turns out the DJ started the song slower and then sped it up. Once I realised what was going on I had to use the audio from one of the cameras.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DJ altering the tempo of music

You're not alone - I've met this a few times now - with DJs that play CDs as well as MP3s.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Trustee

When this happens, just use the video sound track together with the ambient noise. Otherwise use your CD track drop out all the video sound track and point the finger at the DJ if the couple complain.

The best solution is to have a word with the DJ beforehand and tell him this track is the couple request and you need to sync the video. Often talking helps in most situations.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

For the DJ to speed up the first dance song in the middle of it is ridiculous and amateurish. Other times for mixing I understand they need to do this, but for the first dance, give me a break.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:04 AM   #5
Trustee

Interesting Jeff, I am glad you edited out your first reply
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Vincent, I'm glad your happy. My first post was fine, except it didnt' apply because I hadn't realized he was talking about first dance. Otherwise, who cares what speed the DJ plays any song? I just matched up three songs in a wedding video and all were speeded up. It took time, but I got it. It is a pain, but the DJ needs to do what he needs to do, and so do we.

The first dance song however is another matter. I'm sure the bride does not expect it to be played speeded up, especially in the middle of the dance.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Major Player

I have experienced the dj's having their own "special" cut or mix, as well as live bands doing the same thing. It became real apparent to me early on the best way to be doing this audio is to be recording it directly from them as it happens.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I had this same problem before and couldn't get it to sync. I only found out after pluraleyes support had told me about the difference in speed which is barely noticeable. I agree with Chip I just use the song recorded off the DJ's sound board. It works out great too since sometimes the DJ would announce an intro to the 1st dance and I can add that as part of the intro leading to the dance.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Trustee

As a former wedding DJ (for more than 500 wedding dances) I can tell you it's probably not a matter of the DJ purposly starting the song at a slower tempo, then speeding it up...

If the DJ was beatmatching earlier in the evening (slowing/raising the tempo of one song to match the tempo of another - fairly common among pro DJs) then it's possible the tempo of that particular source was left down a few percent. When the DJ noticed, he probably brought it up slowly so it was at the correct tempo. The average guest would not have noticed. Only the videographer would notice when trying to sync.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques