Comfort Level to go full DSLR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Comfort Level to go full DSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
On the 5DII you need to set up in the menu to use Quick Mode AF when in Live mode & then you can hit the AF-ON button to access it. I don't know how it works on the other Canon DSLRs but on the 600D when you are in Movie mode it operates when you half-depress the shutter button. It's a really excellent feature to quickly get perfect focus so that you can then be ready to make adjustments manually as your subject moves.

+1 on this.

I just learned this feature few months ago and it has speed up my work drastically. Although this means you have to keep the lens on AF all the time. On some lenses (except the L series I think), it may slowly damage the focus ring. I've used a friend's focus ring that is a bit noisy because of this, still useable though. Just be aware of this.

Noel, if I were you I would be on 50mm f1.2 during most part of the day. It's certainly one of the sharpest and fastest lens.

I jumped to DSLR almost immediately. I like it and I know it has a bigger selling point to the market I'm trying to reach in. It's a big learning curve that I had to go through, but I am glad I took the path as I can see now it is worth the effort. PLUS I get to carry nice camera for my holiday :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks for all the wonderfull suggestions. I am excited to shoot the Engagement this Monday. I have 2 weddings (Sat & Sunday) but I may hold off on using the t2i for both events. I want to be really comfortable with it before I use it.

I'll post the E-shoot video when it's done, my very first all DSLR shoot.
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM   #18
Trustee

We shot the first 6 months of this year all DSLR and we've now gone back to shooting mixed DSLR and Canon Video cameras (XF100).

There have been quite a few occasions when it was too hard to get the shot we wanted with DSLR only, such as people constantly moving around and keeping the subject in focus was more than a little challenging.

There are of course times when video cameras can't get the shot, like when we're in a really lowly lit room on a 5D2 at ISO2000 and f1.4. The gain on the video camera is just too noisy.

Shallow DOF is gorgeous when you want it but a nightmare when you don't. There are times we just couldn't get enough DOF without going stupidly high ISO (3200-4000), yet a video camera would give us that DOF without raising gain at all.

So, there is plenty of room for both if you consider all the possible things that could happen. These are tools and it's up to use to choose the right tool for the job rather than thinking everything looks like a nail because the only tool we have is a hammer.
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM   #19
Trustee

Totally agrre Dave, spot on...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Dave --

I'm right there with you. I never went all DSLR, but there's no way that I'd go that far for event video. I shoot a mix of GH1's and HMC40's, using each when it makes sense or is necessary.

A couple reasons I'm sticking with "proper" video cameras, and not going all DSLR . . .

First of all, the HMC's are extremely easy to use. Power 'em up and shoot, pressing a couple quick buttons for exposure/white balance. Image stabilization, audio, erganomics are great. With the GH1's (and all other DSLR's), it's a little tougher for run-and-gun shooting, as it takes a lot more thought to get things rolling.

Secondly, I like motorized zoom. You're not gonna get that for cheap (if at all) using a DSLR.

At the same time, the GH1's can achieve DOF and low-light performance that the HMC40's can't come close to.

As you said, they're all tools in our bag of tricks.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques