What does your reception light kit look like? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: What does your reception light kit look like?

Corey, are your Comer's on or off camera.
I also ahve the Comer 1800's as well, and they are a great light.

However with that said, because of the 1800's size we have recently moved to using Z96 LED lights on our NX5U2. The reason for this is because we're also using off camera lighting in the form of CooLight LED256 lights. We place a pair on opposite sides of the dance floor, raised about 12 feet high. this seems to add some nice depth of field to the dance floor, an we now only use on camera lighting for fill lighting when needed.

BTW, the LED256 lights run on battery power (Sony NP970 batteries), and have been modified slightly so I can also power the lights on/off via remote control.
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Corey, are your Comer's on or off camera.
I also ahve the Comer 1800's as well, and they are a great light.
They are off-camera. I use 2 of them on opposite sides of the dance floor. These ones were only about 8 feet up since the ceiling was so low. I quit using on-camera lights, for the most part.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Check out my video =) There're 4 comer lights used. One of each of the two cameras. Then 2 on light stand.

Old September 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Michael, what type of remote control are you using to turn your lights on/off? i'm curious. thanks in advance.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Trustee

Chris, we use a remote control from Receptionlight.
The Wireless Wedding Reception Video Light - HOME

I built my receptionlights myself and originally started with a pair of tungsten lights, but have moved to LED lights due to the lower power consumption.

Here's the breakdown of the kit.
(2) Coolights LED256 LED lights (CL-LED256 256 LED Spot - Cool Lights USA)
(2) ReceptionLight Remote Controls (The Wireless Wedding Reception Video Light - HOME)
(2) Dolgin V-Doubler (vDOUBLER)

The setup is the V-Doubler holds (2) Sony NP-970 batteries (which can power the LED256 for over 5 hours). The V-Doubler is placed in the LED256 bag and hung on the lightstand. A miniplug to XLR cable is used and is connected from the V-Doubler to the ReceptionLight remote control. The ReceptionLight remote control is plugged into the LED256 via XLR connections.

Even though the LED256 has the ability to be powered via AC or DC power, and takes Sony batteries on the light itself. In order for the remote control to work, the remote control must be placed between the power source and the light. So I wasn't able to modify the light to work with the remote control, so I figured on using the V-Doubler to work as a power source. it works great.

I used to use large battery belts for power, but carrying 40 lbs. n batteries was a strain. So this solution works out great, as I can carry 4 Sony batteries in each LED256 bag, and I have both LED256 bags and the remote controls and V-Doublers in 1 large Kata bag.

Su for each event I bring (1) rolling suitcase, which holds all cameras/accessories and audio gear, (1) Kata bag with light kits, and a large bag to carry light stands, mic stand, and tripods.
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I use Litepanels Micros on camera and I usually set up one or two Lowell i-Lights if the DJ fails to provide lighting (which happens far too often). I shoot with 7D's and, at the reception, almost exclusively use a 50mm 1.4 and a 24mm 1.4. Even with my supplemental light, I typically end up shooting wide open (or damn close to it). Here's some reception footage that I shot using two Lightpanel Micros and a single Lowell i-Light. The space was HUGE and, when the sun went down, it became VERY dark. DSLR's and fast lenses have saved my life.

Lance Watts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques